Fiscal Decentralization in Kenya: The Constituency Development Fund and the Growth of Government
This paper explores the financial implications of fiscal decentralization policies on the central government's operating budget in Kenya. The paper evaluates how devolved funds under the constituency development fund (CDF) have been utilized to start healthcare capital projects (clinics) at the local level. The study finds that fiscal decentralization has promoted allocative efficiency and equity but at a cost of exporting tax burdens (operations and maintenance) to the central government emanating from capital projects implemented at the local level. The exported tax burdens have policy implications and call for reforms of the CDF program to reflect a benefit-expenditure structure.
|Date of creation:||10 Oct 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hood, Ron & Husband, David & Fei Yu, 2002. "Recurrent expenditure requirements of capital projects - estimation for budget purposes," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2938, The World Bank.
- Ernesto H. Stein & Jorge M. Streb, 1998.
"Fiscal Decentralization and Government Size in Latin America,"
IDB Publications (Working Papers)
6436, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Ernesto Stein, 1999. "Fiscal Decentralization and Government Size in Latin America," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 2, pages 357-391, November.
- Ernesto H. Stein, 1998. "Fiscal Decentralization and Government Size in Latin America," Research Department Publications 4112, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Lindaman, Kara & Thurmaier, Kurt, 2002. "Beyond Efficiency and Economy: An Examination of Basic Needs and Fiscal Decentralization," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 50(4), pages 915-34, July.
- Wallace E. Oates, 1999. "An Essay on Fiscal Federalism," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(3), pages 1120-1149, September.
- Roy Bahl, 1999.
"Implementation Rules For Fiscal Decentralization,"
International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU
paper9901, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Roy Bahl, 1999. "Implementation Rules For Fiscal Decentralization," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper9803, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Sharma, Chanchal Kumar, 2004. "Decentralization Dilemma: Measuring the Degree and Evaluating the Outcomes," MPRA Paper 204, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 2005.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:11813. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.