The Effects of Managerial Turnover: Evidence from Coach Dismissals in Italian Soccer Teams
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- B Frick & R Simmons, 2005. "The impact of managerial quality on organizational performance: evidence from German soccer," Working Papers 566927, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Koning, R.H., 2000. "An econometric evaluation of the firing of a coach on team performance," Research Report 00F40, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Rick Audas & John Goddard & W. Glenn Rowe, 2006. "Modelling employment durations of NHL head coaches: turnover and post-succession performance," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(4), pages 293-306.
- Ashenfelter, Orley C, 1978. "Estimating the Effect of Training Programs on Earnings," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(1), pages 47-57, February.
- Bernd Frick & Robert Simmons, 2008.
"The impact of managerial quality on organizational performance: evidence from German soccer,"
Managerial and Decision Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(7), pages 593-600.
- Bernd Frick & Robert Simmons, 2007. "The Impact of Managerial Quality on Organizational Performance: Evidence from German Soccer," Working Papers 0708, International Association of Sports Economists;North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Warner, Jerold B. & Watts, Ross L. & Wruck, Karen H., 1988. "Stock prices and top management changes," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 461-492, January.
- Hoffler, Felix & Sliwka, Dirk, 2003. "Do new brooms sweep clean? When and why dismissing a manager increases the subordinates' performance," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(5), pages 877-890, October.
- repec:lan:wpaper:3596 is not listed on IDEAS
- Vincenzo Scoppa, 2008.
"Are subjective evaluations biased by social factors or connections? An econometric analysis of soccer referee decisions,"
Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 123-140, August.
- Scoppa, Vincenzo, 2008. "Are Subjective Evaluations Biased by Social Factors or Connections? An Econometric Analysis of Soccer Referee Decisions," MPRA Paper 15819, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Huson, Mark R. & Malatesta, Paul H. & Parrino, Robert, 2004. "Managerial succession and firm performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 237-275, November.
- Weisbach, Michael S., 1988. "Outside directors and CEO turnover," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 431-460, January.
- Franz Wirl & Simon Sagmeister, 2008. "Changing of the guards: New coaches in Austria’s premier football league," Empirica, Springer;Austrian Institute for Economic Research;Austrian Economic Association, vol. 35(3), pages 267-278, July.
- Denis, David J & Denis, Diane K, 1995. " Performance Changes Following Top Management Dismissals," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-1057, September.
- Audas, Rick & Dobson, Stephen & Goddard, John, 2002. "The impact of managerial change on team performance in professional sports," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 54(6), pages 633-650.
- Bonnier, Karl-Adam & Bruner, Robert F., 1989. "An analysis of stock price reaction to management change in distressed firms," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 95-106, February.
- repec:lan:wpaper:3702 is not listed on IDEAS
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- The bosses' pay con-trick
by chris dillow in Stumbling and Mumbling on 2011-10-28 14:21:13
- Reshuffles: the Brendan Rodgers problem
by chris dillow in Stumbling and Mumbling on 2012-09-04 19:06:25
- Obliquity, & the Labour leadership
by chris in Stumbling and Mumbling on 2016-07-21 18:09:30
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:col:000108:011054 is not listed on IDEAS
- van Ours, Jan C & Van Tuijl, Martin, 2014. "In-season head-coach dismissals and the performance of professional football teams," CEPR Discussion Papers 10191, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sandra Hentschel & Gerd Muehlheusser & Dirk Sliwka, 2012.
"The Impact of Managerial Change on Performance. The Role of Team Heterogeneity,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3950, CESifo Group Munich.
- Mühlheußer, Gerd & Sliwka, Dirk & Hentschel, Sandra, 2013. "The Impact of Managerial Change on Performance. The Role of Team Heterogeneity," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 79825, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Hentschel, Sandra & Muehlheusser, Gerd & Sliwka, Dirk, 2012. "The Impact of Managerial Change on Performance: The Role of Team Heterogeneity," IZA Discussion Papers 6884, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- C. Detotto & D. Paolini, 2012. "Do managerial skills matter? An analysis of the impact of managerial features on performance for the Italian football," Working Paper CRENoS 201220, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Flores, Ramón & Forrest, David & Tena, J.D., 2012. "Decision taking under pressure: Evidence on football manager dismissals in Argentina and their consequences," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 222(3), pages 653-662.
- Jan C. van Ours & Martin A. van Tuijl, 2016.
"In-Season Head-Coach Dismissals And The Performance Of Professional Football Teams,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 54(1), pages 591-604, January.
- van Ours, J.C. & van Tuijl, M.A., 2014. "In-Season Head-Coach Dismissals and the Performance of Professional Football Teams," Discussion Paper 2014-058, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Besters, Lucas, 2018. "Economics of professional football," Other publications TiSEM d9e6b9b7-a17b-4665-9cca-1, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Costanza Torricelli & Maria Cesira Urzì Brancati & Luca Mirtoleni, 2014. "The impact of skill and management structure on Serie A Clubs’ performance," Centro Studi di Banca e Finanza (CEFIN) (Center for Studies in Banking and Finance) 14107, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Dipartimento di Economia "Marco Biagi".
- Alessandro Bucciol & Alessio Hu & Luca Zarri, 2017. "The Effects of Prior Shocks on Managerial Risk Taking: Evidence from Italian Professional Soccer," Working Papers 17/2017, University of Verona, Department of Economics.
- Lucas M. Besters & Jan C. Ours & Martin A. Tuijl, 2016.
"Effectiveness of In-Season Manager Changes in English Premier League Football,"
Springer, vol. 164(3), pages 335-356, September.
- Besters, Lucas & van Ours, Jan & van Tuijl, Martin, 2016. "Effectiveness of in-season manager changes in English Premier League Football," Other publications TiSEM b48506e5-154b-470e-bae2-9, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Costanza Torricelli & Maria Cesira Urzì Brancati & Luca Mirtoleni, 2014. "The impact of skill and management structure on Serie A Clubs’ performance," Centro Studi di Banca e Finanza (CEFIN) (Center for Studies in Banking and Finance) 0046, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Dipartimento di Economia "Marco Biagi".
- Bas Weel, 2011.
"Does Manager Turnover Improve Firm Performance? Evidence from Dutch Soccer, 1986–2004,"
Springer, vol. 159(3), pages 279-303, September.
- Bas ter Weel, 2011. "Does Manager Turnover Improve Firm Performance? Evidence from Dutch Soccer, 1986-2004," CPB Discussion Paper 166, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Andres Giraldo & Juan Mendoza & Andrés Rosas & Dayana Tellez, 2013. "Managerial Turnover: Coach Dismissals and Team Performance in Colombia," VNIVERSITAS ECONÓMICA 011054, UNIVERSIDAD JAVERIANA - BOGOTÁ.
- Hentschel, Sandra & Muehlheusser, Gerd & Sliwka, Dirk, 2014. "The Contribution of Managers to Organizational Success: Evidence from German Soccer," IZA Discussion Papers 8560, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Miller, Ashley, 2013. "Principal turnover and student achievement," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 60-72.
- Thomas (T.L.P.R.) Peeters & Stefan Szymanski & Marko Terviö, 2017. "The inefficient advantage of experience in the market for football managers," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 17-116/VII, Tinbergen Institute.
More about this item
KeywordsManagerial Turnover; Dismissal; Performance evaluation; Sport economics;
- L2 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-10-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAB-2008-10-21 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-SPO-2008-10-21 (Sports & Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:11030. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/vfmunde.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.