Aid Effectiveness in Bangladesh
This paper provides a critical review of aid effectiveness in Bangladesh . It focuses on the contributions of three major, high-profile donors: the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank (ADB), and the Government of Japan (GOJ). In assessing aid effectiveness, the paper uses a qualitative triangulation approach based on the subjective judgments of donors and recipients. This approach is dictated by the deficiencies of quantitative methods for this purpose and the lack of adequate and reliable quantitative data. The paper then discusses the causes of aid ineffectiveness. As this theme has a wider resonance beyond Bangladesh, the discussion next turns to the experiences of the developing world as a whole. Recommendations for making aid more effective follow, and the paper ends with some concluding remarks.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2007|
|Date of revision:||Sep 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Roodman, 2007.
"The Anarchy of Numbers: Aid, Development, and Cross-Country Empirics,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 21(2), pages 255-277, May.
- David Roodman, 2004. "The Anarchy of Numbers: Aid, Development, and Cross-country Empirics," Development and Comp Systems 0412003, EconWPA.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1999. "The World Bank at the Millennium," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(459), pages F577-97, November.
- Vos, Rob, 1998. "Aid Flows and "Dutch Disease" in a General Equilibrium Framework for Pakistan," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 77-109, February.
- Sylviane GUILLAUMONT JEANNENEY & Patrick GUILLAUMONT & Gérard CHAMBAS & Christopher ADAM & Jan Willem GUNNING, 2003.
"Performance-Based Conditionality: A European Perspective,"
- Adam, Christopher & Chambas, Gerard & Guillaumont, Patrick & Guillaumont Jeanneney, Sylviane & Gunning, Jan Willem, 2004. "Performance-Based Conditionality: A European Perspective," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1059-1070, June.
- Nancy Birdsall & Owen Barder, 2006. "Payments for Progress: A Hands-Off Approach to Foreign Aid," Working Papers 102, Center for Global Development.
- Nyoni, Timothy S., 1998. "Foreign Aid and Economic Performance in Tanzania," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1235-1240, July.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Sandler, Todd & Morrison, Kevin, 1999. "The Future of Development Assistance: Common Pools and International Public Goods," Staff General Research Papers 1629, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- M .G. Quibria, 2006.
"Does Governance Matter? Yes, No or Maybe: Some Evidence from Developing Asia,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(1), pages 99-114, 02.
- M. G. Quibria, 2006. "Does Governance Matter? Yes, No or Maybe Some Evidence from Developing Asia," Development Economics Working Papers 22474, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- M. G. Quibria, 2006. "Does Governance Matter? Yes, No or Maybe - Some Evidence from Developing Asia," Working Papers 02-2006, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Christopher Adam & David Bevan, 2004.
"Aid and the Supply Side: Public Investment, Export Performance and Dutch Disease in Low Income Countries,"
Economics Series Working Papers
201, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Christopher S. Adam & David L. Bevan, 2006. "Aid and the Supply Side: Public Investment, Export Performance, and Dutch Disease in Low-Income Countries," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 20(2), pages 261-290.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Arvind Subramanian, 2005.
"Aid and Growth: What Does the Cross-Country Evidence Really Show?,"
NBER Working Papers
11513, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Arvind Subramanian, 2008. "Aid and Growth: What Does the Cross-Country Evidence Really Show?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 90(4), pages 643-665, November.
- Raghuram G. Rajan, 2005. "Aid and Growth: What Does The Cross-Country Evidence Really Show?," Working Papers id:54, eSocialSciences.
- Raghuram Rajan & Arvind Subramanian, 2005. "Aid and Growth; What Does the Cross-Country Evidence Really Show?," IMF Working Papers 05/127, International Monetary Fund.
- White, Howard & Wignaraja, Ganeshan, 1992. "Exchange rates, trade liberalization and aid: The Sri Lankan experience," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(10), pages 1471-1480, October.
- Gustav Ranis, 2006. "Toward the Enhanced Effectiveness of Foreign Aid," Working Papers 938, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Isabell Adenauer & Laurence Vagassky, 1998. "Aid and the real exchange rate: Dutch disease effects in African countries," Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 33(4), pages 177-185, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:10299. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.