Multidimensional screening with complementary activities: regulating a monopolist with unknown cost and unknown preference for empire-building
We study optimal regulation of a monopolist when intrinsic efficiency (intrinsic cost) and empire-building tendency (marginal utility of output) are private information but actual cost (difference between intrinsic cost and effort level) is observable. This is a problem of multidimensional screening with complementary activities. Results are mainly driven by two elements: the correlations between types; and the relative magnitude of the uncertainty along the two dimensions of private information. If the marginal utility of output varies much more (resp. less) across managers than the intrinsic marginal cost, then we have empire-building (resp. efficiency) dominance. In that case, an inefficient empire-builder produces more (resp. less) and at lower (resp. higher) marginal cost than an efficient money-seeker. It is only when variabilities are similar that we obtain the natural ranking of activities (empire-builders produce more while efficient managers produce at a lower cost).
|Date of creation:||Feb 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Rua Dr. Roberto Frias, 4200 PORTO|
Web page: http://www.fep.up.pt/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ana Carina Araújo & Aurora A.C. Teixeira, 2013. "Determinants of international technology transfer: an empirical analysis of the Enterprise Europe Network," FEP Working Papers 480, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Carlos Seixas & António Brandão & Manuel Luís Costa, 2013. "Policy Choices by an Incumbent - A Case with Down-Up Problem, Bias Beliefs and Retrospective Voting," FEP Working Papers 485, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Paula Gracinda Santos & Ana Paula Ribeiro & Vitor Manuel Carvalho, 2013.
"Export-led growth in Europe: Where and what to export?,"
FEP Working Papers
479, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Ana Paula Ribeiro & Paula Gracinda Teixeira Santos & Vitor Carvalho, 2013. "Export-led growth in Europe: Where and what to export?," EcoMod2013 5265, EcoMod.
- Sochirca, Elena & Gil, Pedro Mazeda & Afonso, Oscar, 2014.
"Technology structure and skill structure: Costly investment and complementarity effects quantification,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 172-189.
- Elena Sochirca & Pedro Mazeda Gil & Oscar Afonso, 2013. "Technology Structure and Skill Structure: Costly Investment and Complementarity Effects Quantification," FEP Working Papers 478, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Michael C. Jensen, 1994.
"The Modern Industrial Revolution, Exit, And The Failure Of Internal Control Systems,"
Journal of Applied Corporate Finance,
Morgan Stanley, vol. 6(4), pages 4-23.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1993. " The Modern Industrial Revolution, Exit, and the Failure of Internal Control Systems," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(3), pages 831-80, July.
- Michael C. Jensen, 2010. "The Modern Industrial Revolution, Exit, and the Failure of Internal Control Systems," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 22(1), pages 43-58.
- Hélder Ferreira & Aurora A.C. Teixeira, 2013. "‘Welcome to the experience economy’: assessing the influence of customer experience literature through bibliometric analysis," FEP Working Papers 481, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Márcia Oliveira & Dalila B. M. M. Fontes & Teresa Pereira, 2013. "Multicriteria Decision Making: A Case Study in the Automobile Industry," FEP Working Papers 483, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Ana Pinto Borges & João Correia‐Da‐Silva, 2011. "Using Cost Observation To Regulate A Manager Who Has A Preference For Empire‐Building," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 79(1), pages 29-44, January.
- Ana Pinto Borges & João Correia-da-Silva, 2008. "Using Cost Observation to Regulate Bureaucratic Firms," FEP Working Papers 304, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Armstrong, Mark & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 1999. "Multi-dimensional screening:: A user's guide," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 959-979, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:por:fepwps:486. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.