Exchange Rate Instability and Trade. The Case of Pakistan
The variations in exchange rate play a vital role in the determination of trade balance. Volatile exchange rate shatters the investor’s and trader’s confidence, and slows down the process of trade, which results in slower growth. In this paper, other market instabilities—such as GDP growth instability in imports equation and agriculture and manufacturing instability in exports equation—have been used with exchange rate instability, and GARCH variance is used to measure it. It is found that the impact of exchange rate instability on exports is positive but insignificant, while the impact on imports is negative and significant.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O.Box 1091, Islamabad-44000|
Web page: http://www.pide.org.pk
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pozo, Susan, 1992. "Conditional Exchange-Rate Volatility and the Volume of International Trade: Evidence from the Early 1900s," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(2), pages 325-329, May.
- Philippe Bacchetta & Eric van Wincoop, 1998.
"Does exchange rate stability increase trade and capital flows?,"
9818, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Bacchetta, Philippe & van Wincoop, Eric, 1998. "Does Exchange Rate Stability Increase Trade and Capital Flows?," CEPR Discussion Papers 1962, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philippe Bacchetta & Eric van Wincoop, 1998. "Does Exchange Rate Stability Increase Trade and Capital Flows?," Working Papers 98.04, Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee.
- Philippe Bacchetta & Eric Van Wincoop, 1998. "Does Exchange Rate Stability Increase Trade and Capital Flows?," NBER Working Papers 6704, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gagnon, Joseph E., 1993.
"Exchange rate variability and the level of international trade,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(3-4), pages 269-287, May.
- Joseph E. Gagnon, 1989. "Exchange rate variability and the level of international trade," International Finance Discussion Papers 369, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- S.M. Naseem & S.K. Qureshi & Rehana Siddiqui, 1998.
"Conditions of Teaching and Research in Economics: Some Preliminary Findings,"
The Pakistan Development Review,
Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 37(4), pages 453-478.
- S. M. NASEEM & Sarfraz K. QURESHI & Rehana SIDDIQUI, 1999. "Conditions of Teaching and Research in Economics some Preliminary Findings," PIDE-Working Papers 1999:176, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Cushman, David O., 1983. "The effects of real exchange rate risk on international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 45-63, August.
- Richard Baldwin & Paul Krugman, 1989.
"Persistent Trade Effects of Large Exchange Rate Shocks,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 104(4), pages 635-654.
- Richard Baldwin & Paul R. Krugman, 1986. "Persistent Trade Effects of Large Exchage Rate Shocks," NBER Working Papers 2017, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hooper, Peter & Kohlhagen, Steven W., 1978. "The effect of exchange rate uncertainty on the prices and volume of international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 483-511, November.
- Michael Melvin & Xixi Yin, "undated".
"Public Information Arrival, Exchange Rate Volatility, and Quote Frequency,"
96/1, Arizona State University, Department of Economics.
- Melvin, Michael & Yin, Xixi, 2000. "Public Information Arrival, Exchange Rate Volatility, and Quote Frequency," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(465), pages 644-661, July.
- Henry, Olan T & Summers, Peter M, 1999. "The Volatility of Real Exchange Rates: The Australian Case," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(2), pages 79-90, June.
- Paul De Grauwe, 1988. "Exchange Rate Variability and the Slowdown in Growth of International Trade," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(1), pages 63-84, March.
- Peree, Eric & Steinherr, Alfred, 1989. "Exchange rate uncertainty and foreign trade," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1241-1264, July.
- Kumar, Ramesh & Dhawan, Ravinder, 1991. "Exchange rate volatility and Pakistan's exports to the developed world, 1974-85," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 19(9), pages 1225-1240, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pid:wpaper:2005:186. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.