Dynamic Disappointment Aversion: Don't Tell Me Anything Until You Know For Sure
We show that for a disappointment-averse decision maker, splitting a lottery into several stages reduces its value. To do this, we extend Gul.s (1991) model of disappointment aversion into a dynamic setting while keeping its basic characteristics intact. The result depends solely on the sign of the coefficient of disappointment aversion. It can help explain why people often buy periodic insurance for moderately priced objects, such as electrical appliances and cellular phones, at much more than the actuarially fair rate.
|Date of creation:||28 Jul 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104|
Web page: http://economics.sas.upenn.edu/pier
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dillenberger, David, 2008. "Preferences for One-Shot Resolution of Uncertainty and Allais-Type Behavior," MPRA Paper 8342, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dillenberger, David & Rozen, Kareen, 2015.
"History-dependent risk attitude,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 157(C), pages 445-477.
- David Dillenberger & Kareen Rozen, 2010. "History-Dependent Risk Attitude," Levine's Working Paper Archive 661465000000000321, David K. Levine.
- David Dillenberger & Kareen Rozen, 2011. "History-Dependent Risk Attitude," PIER Working Paper Archive 11-004, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- David Dillenberger & Kareen Rozen, 2010. "History-Dependent Risk Attitude," Levine's Bibliography 661465000000000184, UCLA Department of Economics.
- David Dillenberger & Kareen Rozen, 2010. "History-Dependent Risk Attitude," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1763, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 2012.
- David Dillenberger & Kareen Rozen, 2011. "History-Dependent Risk Attitude," Levine's Working Paper Archive 786969000000000066, David K. Levine.
- Ang, Andrew & Bekaert, Geert & Liu, Jun, 2005. "Why stocks may disappoint," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 471-508, June.
- Andrew Ang & Geert Bekaert & Jun Liu, 2000. "Why Stocks May Disappoint," NBER Working Papers 7783, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gul, Faruk, 1991. "A Theory of Disappointment Aversion," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 667-686, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)