Pricing to Market in the Krugman Model
We examine the role of per capita income in closed and open economy models of monopolistic competition based on non-homothetic directly additive preferences a la Dixit-Stiglitz, as in Krugman (1979). In a closed economy with free entry income is always neutral on markups and firm size. In a two-country trade model without transport costs, markups are higher in the country with higher income if the elasticity of substitution is decreasing in consumption. Pricing to market also emerges with transport costs.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via S. Felice, 5 - 27100 Pavia|
Web page: http://epmq.unipv.eu/site/home.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- ZHELOBODKO, Evgeny & KOKOVIN, Sergey & PARENTI, Mathieu & THISSE, Jean - François, 2011.
"Monopolistic competition in general equilibrium: beyond the CES,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2011010, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Evgeny Zhelobodko & Sergey Kokovin & Mathieu Parenti & Jacques-François Thisse, 2011. "Monopolistic Competition in General Equilibrium: Beyond the CES," Discussion Paper Series DP2011-16, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Evgeny Zhelobodko & Sergey Kokovin & Mathieu Parenti & Jacques-François Thisse, 2011. "Monopolistic Competition in General Equilibrium: Beyond the CES," CREA Discussion Paper Series 11-03, Center for Research in Economic Analysis, University of Luxembourg.
- Evgeny Zhelobodko & Sergey Kokovin & Mathieu Parenti & Jacques-François Thisse, 2011. "Monopolistic competition in general equilibrium: Beyond the CES," PSE Working Papers halshs-00566431, HAL.
- Bertoletti, Paolo, 2006. "Logarithmic quasi-homothetic preferences," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 433-439, March.
- L. R. Klein & H. Rubin, 1947. "A Constant-Utility Index of the Cost of Living," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 15(2), pages 84-87.
- Kristian Behrens & Yasusada Murata, 2009.
"Trade, Competition, and Efficiency,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Krugman, Paul, 1980. "Scale Economies, Product Differentiation, and the Pattern of Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 950-59, December.
- Tarasov, Alexander, 2013.
"Preferences and income effects in monopolistic competition models,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
19575, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Alexander Tarasov, 2014. "Preferences and income effects in monopolistic competition models," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 42(3), pages 647-669, March.
- Paolo Bertoletti & Federico Etro, 2013. "Monopolistic Competition when Income Matters," DEM Working Papers Series 055, University of Pavia, Department of Economics and Management.
- Paul Krugman, 1986. "Pricing to Market when the Exchange Rate Changes," NBER Working Papers 1926, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bertoletti, Paolo & Epifani, Paolo, 2014.
"Monopolistic competition: CES redux?,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 227-238.
- George Alessandria & Joseph P. Kaboski, 2011.
"Pricing-to-Market and the Failure of Absolute PPP,"
American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics,
American Economic Association, vol. 3(1), pages 91-127, January.
- Pollak, Robert A, 1972. "Generalized Separability," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(3), pages 431-53, May.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Krugman, Paul R., 1979. "Increasing returns, monopolistic competition, and international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 469-479, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pav:demwpp:demwp0061. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alice Albonico)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.