Pricing to Market in the Krugman Model
We examine the role of per capita income in closed and open economy models of monopolistic competition based on non-homothetic directly additive preferences a la Dixit-Stiglitz, as in Krugman (1979). In a closed economy with free entry income is always neutral on markups and firm size. In a two-country trade model without transport costs, markups are higher in the country with higher income if the elasticity of substitution is decreasing in consumption. Pricing to market also emerges with transport costs.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://epmq.unipv.eu/site/home.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bertoletti, Paolo, 2006. "Logarithmic quasi-homothetic preferences," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 433-439, March.
- Kristian Behrens & Yasusada Murata, 2009.
"Trade, Competition, and Efficiency,"
Cahiers de recherche
- George Alessandria & Joseph Kaboski, 2007.
"Pricing-to-market and the failure of absolute PPP,"
07-29, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Bertoletti, Paolo & Epifani, Paolo, 2014.
"Monopolistic competition: CES redux?,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 227-238.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Paul Krugman, 1986. "Pricing to Market when the Exchange Rate Changes," NBER Working Papers 1926, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paolo Bertoletti & Federico Etro, 2013. "Monopolistic Competition when Income Matters," DEM Working Papers Series 055, University of Pavia, Department of Economics and Management.
- Alexander Tarasov, 2014.
"Preferences and income effects in monopolistic competition models,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 42(3), pages 647-669, March.
- Tarasov, Alexander, 2013. "Preferences and income effects in monopolistic competition models," Munich Reprints in Economics 19575, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Krugman, Paul R., 1979. "Increasing returns, monopolistic competition, and international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 469-479, November.
- Pollak, Robert A, 1972. "Generalized Separability," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(3), pages 431-53, May.
- Krugman, Paul, 1980. "Scale Economies, Product Differentiation, and the Pattern of Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 950-59, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pav:demwpp:demwp0061. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alice Albonico)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.