Global Production Sharing, Trade Patterns and Industrialization in Southeast Asia
This paper examines the emerging trends and patterns of merchandise trade in Southeast Asia and their implications for growth and structural changes in domestic manufacturing, with emphasis on the on-going process of global production sharing. The analysis reveals that participation in global production networks (GPNs) has strengthened economic interdependence among the Southeast Asian countries, and between these countries and China and the other major economies in East Asia, but this has not lessoned the dependence of growth dynamism of these countries on the global economy. The operation of the regional cross-border production networks depends inexorably on trade in final goods with North America and the European Union. Reflecting differences in policy regimes and the overall business climate, the degree of integration within GPNs and the resultant impact on industrial upgrading varies notably among the countries in the region.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Crawford Building, Lennox Crossing, Building #132, Canberra ACT 2601|
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/acde/publications/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2006. "International Labour Migration in East Asia: trends, patterns and policy issues," Asian-Pacific Economic Literature, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, The Australian National University, vol. 20, pages 18-39, 05.
- Caves,Richard E., 2007. "Multinational Enterprise and Economic Analysis," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521860130, August.
- Chris Manning & Raden M. Purnagunawan, 2011. "Survey of recent developments," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(3), pages 303-332, December.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Hal Hill, 2010. "Asian trade: long-term patterns and key policy issues," Asian-Pacific Economic Literature, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, The Australian National University, vol. 24(2), pages 52-82, November.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2011.
"Production Networks and Trade Patterns in East Asia: Regionalization or Globalization?,"
Asian Economic Papers,
MIT Press, vol. 10(1), pages 65-95, January.
- Athukorala, Prema-chandra, 2010. "Production Networks and Trade Patterns in East Asia: Regionalization or Globalization?," Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration 56, Asian Development Bank.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala & Bambang Santosa, 1997. "Gains from Indonesian Export Growth: Do Linkages Matter?," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 73-95.
- Caves,Richard E., 2007. "Multinational Enterprise and Economic Analysis," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521677530, August.
- Armida Alisjahbana & Chris Manning, 2002. "Survey of Recent Developments," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(3), pages 277-305.
- Alice H. Amsden & Wan-wen Chu, 2003. "Beyond Late Development: Taiwan's Upgrading Policies," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262011980, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pas:papers:2013-18. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sandra Zec)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.