Do Entrepreneurs Come From Venus Or Mars? Impact Of Postgraduate Studies: Gender And Family Business Background
Online MBA programs give postgraduate students the opportunity to develop skills and abilities to discover new business opportunities and to develop entrepreneurship intention (EI) (or entrepreneurial activity intention) and start-up behavior (SUB) (or entrepreneurship activity). This paper analyzes the impacts on entrepreneurial intention and on start-up behavior developed by the graduate students of an international online Master of Business Administration (OL-MBA) program launched by three public Spanish universities that offers two specializations (Management and Finance). The students of this program come from different countries, so the impact of cultural aspects is also examined in this study. The main results show that coming from an entrepreneurial family increases entrepreneurial intention, and this result is reinforced when the OL-MBA student is female. Additionally, female students are more likely to engage in start-up behavior if she comes from an entrepreneurial family. However, this start-up behavior is reduced when female students receive entrepreneurial education or if they have children (dependency context). Other personal characteristics, such as non-risk-adverse personality, can also motivate entrepreneurial intention and start-up behavior.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2014|
|Date of revision:||Sep 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: + 34 954 97 7444
Fax: + 34 954 34 8353
Web page: http://www.upo.es/defc/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Katz, Jerome A., 2003. "The chronology and intellectual trajectory of American entrepreneurship education: 1876-1999," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 283-300, March.
- Davidsson, Per & Honig, Benson, 2003. "The role of social and human capital among nascent entrepreneurs," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 301-331, May.
- Vesper, Karl H. & Gartner, William B., 1997. "Measuring progress in entrepreneurship education," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 12(5), pages 403-421, September.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521728355 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yar, Daniel & Wennberg, Karl & Berglund, Henrik, 2008. "Creativity In Entrepreneurship Education," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Business Administration 2008:4, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 03 Apr 2008.
- von Graevenitz, Georg & Harhoff, Dietmar & Weber, Richard, 2010.
"The effects of entrepreneurship education,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 90-112, October.
- Weber, Richard & Graevenitz, Georg von & Harhoff, Dietmar, 2009. "The Effects of Entrepreneurship Education," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 269, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Weber, Richard & Graevenitz, Georg von & Harhoff, Dietmar, 2009. "The Effects of Entrepreneurship Education," Discussion Papers in Business Administration 10966, University of Munich, Munich School of Management.
- Georg Von Graevenitz & Dietmar Harhoff & Richard Weber, 2010. "The Effects of Entrepreneurship Education," Post-Print hal-00856605, HAL.
- Bernd Ebersberger & Christine Pirhofer, 2011. "Gender, management education and the willingness for academic entrepreneurship," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(9), pages 841-844.
- Lee, Lena & Wong, Poh Kam & Foo, Maw Der & Leung, Aegean, 2011.
"Entrepreneurial intentions: The influence of organizational and individual factors,"
Journal of Business Venturing,
Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 124-136, January.
- Lee, Lena & Wong, Poh Kam & Foo, Maw Der & Leung, Aegean, 2009. "Entrepreneurial intentions: The influence of organizational and individual factors," MPRA Paper 16195, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- DeMartino, Richard & Barbato, Robert, 2003. "Differences between women and men MBA entrepreneurs: exploring family flexibility and wealth creation as career motivators," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 815-832, November.
- Oosterbeek, Hessel & van Praag, Mirjam & Ijsselstein, Auke, 2010. "The impact of entrepreneurship education on entrepreneurship skills and motivation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 442-454, April.
- Frederic Delmar & Per Davidsson, 2000. "Where do they come from? Prevalence and characteristics of nascent entrepreneurs," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Rachida Justo & CRISTINA CRUZ & JULIO ORLANDO DE CASTRO & ALICIA CODURAS, 2006. "EntrepreneursÂ´ perceptions of success: examining differences across gender and family status," Working Papers Economia wp06-07, Instituto de Empresa, Area of Economic Environment.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521899604 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mike Wright & Evila Piva & Simon Mosey & Andy Lockett, 2009. "Academic entrepreneurship and business schools," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 34(6), pages 560-587, December.
- KruegerJR, Norris F. & Reilly, Michael D. & Carsrud, Alan L., 2000. "Competing models of entrepreneurial intentions," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 15(5-6), pages 411-432.
- Gupta, Vishal K. & Goktan, A. Banu & Gunay, Gonca, 2014. "Gender differences in evaluation of new business opportunity: A stereotype threat perspective," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 273-288.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pab:fiecac:14.04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publicación Digital - UPO)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.