A Low-Dimension Collinearity-Robust Test for Non-linearity
A new test for non-linearity is developed using weighted combinations of regressor powers based on the eigenvectors of the variance-covariance matrix. The test extends the ingenious test for heteroskedasticity proposed by White (1980), but both circumvents problems of high dimensionality and collinearity, and allows inclusion of cubic functions to ensure power against asymmetry or skewness. A Monte Carlo analysis compares the performance of the test to the optimal infeasible test and to a variant of White`s test. The relative performance of the test is encouraging: the test has the appropriate size and has high power in many situations. Furthermore, collinearity between regressors can increase the power of the test.
|Date of creation:||01 May 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manor Rd. Building, Oxford, OX1 3UQ|
Web page: http://www.economics.ox.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hendry, David F., 1995. "Dynamic Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198283164, May.
- repec:att:wimass:9520 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lee, Tae-Hwy & White, Halbert & Granger, Clive W. J., 1993.
"Testing for neglected nonlinearity in time series models : A comparison of neural network methods and alternative tests,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 269-290, April.
- Tom Doan, . "REGWHITENNTEST: RATS procedure to perform White neural network test on regression," Statistical Software Components RTS00183, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "REGRESET: RATS procedure to perform Ramsey RESET test on regression," Statistical Software Components RTS00181, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Quandt, Richard E., 1983. "Computational problems and methods," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 12, pages 699-764 Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oxf:wpaper:326. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Birds)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.