TPP, RCEP, and Japan's Agricultural Policy Reforms
In this paper we compare welfare effects and the extent of sectoral adjustments under the proposed Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) agreement and the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) accords using a dynamic computable general equilibrium (CGE) model from the perspective of Japan. The ambitious goals of both organizations, as well as overlapping membership, make comparisons of different scenarios particularly intriguing. Another objective of this paper is to examine the effects of Japan's agricultural policy reforms on its agricultural output. If agricultural reforms, such as phasing out gentan and consolidation of agricultural land, lead to an improvement in productivity of agricultural sectors, then the extent of output contraction of agricultural and processed food sectors in Japan would be reduced significantly except for dairy products. This suggests the importance of carrying out agricultural reforms in Japan for region-wide trade accords.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.osipp.osaka-u.ac.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ken Itakura & Hiro Lee, 2012.
"Welfare Changes And Sectoral Adjustments Of Asia-Pacific Countries Under Alternative Sequencings Of Free Trade Agreements,"
Global Journal of Economics (GJE),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 1(02), pages 1250012-1-1.
- Ken Itakura & Hiro Lee, 2012. "Welfare Changes and Sectoral Adjustments of Asia-Pacific Countries under Alternative Sequencings of Free Trade Agreements," OSIPP Discussion Paper 12E005, Osaka School of International Public Policy, Osaka University.
- Peter A. Petri & Michael G. Plummer & Fan Zhai, 2012. "The Trans-Pacific Partnership and Asia-Pacific Integration: A Quantitative Assessment," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 6642.
- Fukunari KIMURA & Ayako OBASHI, 2010. "International Production Networks in Machinery Industries: Structure and Its Evolution," Working Papers DP-2010-09, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Lee, Hiro & Owen, Robert F. & van der Mensbrugghe, Dominique, 2009. "Regional integration in Asia and its effects on the EU and North America," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 240-254, May.
- Drusilla K. Brown & Kozo Kiyota & Robert M. Stern, 2004.
"Computational Analysis of the Menu of U.S.-Japan Trade Policies,"
515, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Drusilla K. Brown & Kozo Kiyota & Robert M. Stern, 2006. "Computational Analysis of the Menu of US-Japan Trade Policies," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(6), pages 805-855, 06.
- Drusilla K. Brown & Kozo Kiyota & Robert M. Stern, 2004. "Computational Analysis of the Menu of U.S.-Japan Trade Policies," Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series d04-63, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Hayakawa, Kazunobu & Kimura, Fukunari, 2014. "How do free trade agreements reduce tariff rates and non-tariff barriers?," IDE Discussion Papers 446, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Kimura, Fukunari & Obashi, Ayako, 2011.
"Production Networks in East Asia: What We Know So Far,"
ADBI Working Papers
320, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Fukunari Kimura & Ayako Obashi, 2011. "Production Networks in East Asia : What We Know So Far," Trade Working Papers 23216, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Fukunari Kimura & Ayako Obashi, 2011. "Production Networks in East Asia : What We Know So Far," Microeconomics Working Papers 23216, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Ianchovichina,Elena & Walmsley,Terrie L. (ed.), 2012.
"Dynamic Modeling and Applications for Global Economic Analysis,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9781107011694.
- Peter A. Petri & Michael G. Plummer & Fan Zhai, 2012. "ASEAN Economic Community: A General Equilibrium Analysis," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 26(2), pages 93-118, 06.
- Hertel, Thomas, . "Global Trade Analysis: Modeling and applications," GTAP Books 7685, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Chunding Li & John Whalley, 2012. "China and the TPP: A Numerical Simulation Assessment of the Effects Involved," NBER Working Papers 18090, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:osp:wpaper:14e003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Akiko Murashita)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.