Unemployment and common smooth transition trends in Central and Eastern European Countries
In the present paper we analyse the existence of common nonlinear trends in several of Central and Eastern European Countries in order to gain some insight about the degree of labour market integration within the area. In order to do so, we test for the order of integration of the unemployment rates, by applying the Leybourne et al. (1998) and Kapetanios et al. (2003) nonlinear unit root tests. Our results pinpoint the fact that five up to eight unemployment rates are stationary around a nonlinear trend and, by means of Anderson and Vahid (1998) approach, we also find that there is a common trend that drives the long run behaviour of that variable in these countries.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Camarero, Mariam & Ordonez, Javier, 2006. "Is there a nonlinear co-movement in the EU countries' unemployment?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 157-162, November.
- McAdam, Peter & León-Ledesma, Miguel A., 2003.
"Unemployment, hysteresis and transition,"
Working Paper Series
0234, European Central Bank.
- Camarero, Mariam & Carrion-i-Silvestre, Josep Lluis & Tamarit, Cecilio, 2005. "Unemployment dynamics and NAIRU estimates for accession countries: A univariate approach," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 584-603, September.
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Lawrence H. Summers, 1986.
"Hysteresis and the European Unemployment Problem,"
NBER Working Papers
1950, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gil-Alana, Luis A., 2002. "Structural breaks and fractional integration in the US output and unemployment rate," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 79-84, September.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173, December.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345, December.
- Andrew E. Clark, 2003.
"Unemployment as a Social Norm: Psychological Evidence from Panel Data,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(2), pages 289-322, April.
- Andrew Clark, 2001. "Unemployment As A Social Norm: Psychological Evidence from Panel Data," DELTA Working Papers 2001-17, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Lawrence H. Summers, 1986.
"Fiscal Increasing Returns, Hysteresis, Real Wages and Unemployment,"
429, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Blanchard, Olivier J. & Summers, Lawrence H., 1987. "Fiscal increasing returns, hysteresis, real wages and unemployment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 543-560, April.
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Lawrence H. Summers, 1986. "Fiscal Increasing Returns, Hysteresis, Real Wages and Unemployment," NBER Working Papers 2034, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tito Boeri & Katherine Terrell, 2001.
"Institutional Determinants of Labor Reallocation in Transition,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
384, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Tito Boeri & Katherine Terrell, 2002. "Institutional Determinants of Labor Reallocation in Transition," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 51-76, Winter.
- West, Kenneth D., 1987. "A note on the power of least squares tests for a unit root," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 249-252.
- David H. Papell & Christian J. Murray & Hala Ghiblawi, 2000. "The Structure of Unemployment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(2), pages 309-315, May.
- Bierens, Herman J., 1997. "Testing the unit root with drift hypothesis against nonlinear trend stationarity, with an application to the US price level and interest rate," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 29-64, November.
- Mariam Camarero & Josep Lluís Carrion-i-Silvestre & Cecilio Tamarit, 2008. "Unemployment Hysteresis in Transition Countries: Evidence using Stationarity Panel Tests with Breaks," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 620-635, 08.
- Franchi, Massimo & Ordóñez, Javier, 2008. "Common smooth transition trend-stationarity in European unemployment," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 106-109, November.
- Luis Gil-Alana, 2001. "Measuring unemployment persistence in terms of I(d) statistical models," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(12), pages 761-763.
- Anderson, Heather M. & Vahid, Farshid, 1998. "Testing multiple equation systems for common nonlinear components," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 1-36, May.
- Kapetanios, George & Shin, Yongcheol & Snell, Andy, 2003. "Testing for a unit root in the nonlinear STAR framework," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 359-379, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbs:wpaper:2009/5. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simeon Coleman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.