Is there an openness Kuznets curve? Evidence from Latin America
Numerous studies have examined the relationship between income inequality and trade openness. This paper departs from previous work by considering a possible non-linear relationship between trade openness and inequality. The evidence is consistent with the idea of a Kuznets curve: inequality increases until a critical level of openness is reached after which inequality begins to fall. The finding of a non-linear relationship between trade openness and inequality implies that governments in Latin America should introduce redistribution policies, alongside trade liberalisation measures, so as to ease the adverse effects of trade liberalisation.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dollar, David & Kraay, Aart, 2002.
" Growth Is Good for the Poor,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 195-225, September.
- Hongyi Li & Lyn Squire & Tao Zhang & Heng-fu Zou, 1999.
"A Data Set on Income Distribution,"
CEMA Working Papers
575, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Calderon, Cesar & Chong, Alberto, 2001. "External sector and income inequality in interdependent economies using a dynamic panel data approach," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 225-231, May.
- Sanjeev Gupta & Hamid Davoodi & Rosa Alonso-Terme, 2002. "Does corruption affect income inequality and poverty?," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 23-45, 03.
- Chen, Zhuo, 2007. "Development and inequality: Evidence from an endogenous switching regression without regime separation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 269-274, August.
- Klaus Deininger & Lyn Squire, 1996.
"A New Data Set Measuring Income Inequality,"
CEMA Working Papers
512, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Shafik, Nemat, 1994. "Economic Development and Environmental Quality: An Econometric Analysis," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(0), pages 757-73, Supplemen.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbs:wpaper:2008/10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simeon Coleman)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Simeon Coleman to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.