The Distribution of Public Sector Wage Premia: New Evidence Using Quantile Regression Methods
This paper documents the changing pattern of wage differentials between state and local government employees and their private sector counterparts during the 1979-1992 period. While the relative wages of women employed in the two sectors changed very little during this period, the relative wages of men employed in the state and local sector rose nearly 8%. There is substantial heterogeneity in the changes in relative wages of public and private sector employees during the 1980s. For highly educated workers, private sector wages rose significantly faster than public sector wages, while for those with at most a high school education, the public sector wage premium increased. We present both least squares and quantile regression estimates of the public sector premium. While the level of this premium is sensitive to our choice of quantile, the change in the premium, and the estimated pattern across skill levels, is not substantially affected by varying the quantile.
|Date of creation:||May 1994|
|Publication status:||published as Poterba, James M. and Kim S. Rueben. "The Effect Of Property-Tax Limits On Wages And Employment In The Local Public Sector," American Economic Review, 1995, v85(2), 384-389.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ehrenberg, Ronald G. & Schwarz, Joshua L., 1987.
"Public-sector labor markets,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,
in: O. Ashenfelter & R. Layard (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 22, pages 1219-1260
- Katz, L.F. & Krueger, A.B., 1991.
"Chances In The Structure Of Wages In The Public And Private Sectors,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1547, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Lawrence F. Katz & Alan B. Krueger, 1991. "Changes in the Structure of Wages in the Public and Private Sectors," NBER Working Papers 3667, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lawrence F. Katz & Alan B. Krueger, 1991. "Changes in the Structure of Wages in the Public and Private Sectors," Working Papers 662, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Kevin M. Murphy & Finis Welch, 1992. "The Structure of Wages," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 107(1), pages 285-326.
- William J. Moore & Robert J. Newman, 1991. "Government Wage Differentials in a Municipal Labor Market: The Case of Houston Metropolitan Transit Workers," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 45(1), pages 145-153, October.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- John Bound & George E. Johnson, 1989. "Changes in the Structure of Wages During the 1980's: An Evaluation of Alternative Explanations," NBER Working Papers 2983, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joskow, Paul L. & Rose, Nancy L. & Shepard, Andrea., 1993. "Regulatory constraints on executive compensation," Working papers 3550-93., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:4734. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.