Health, Children, and Elderly Living Arrangements: A Multiperiod-Multinomial Probit Model with Unobserved Heterogeneity and Autocorrelated Errors
This paper develops a general multiperiod-multinomial probit model for panel data to estimate the living arrangements of the elderly. The model has the following features: (a) In each period choices do not necessarily obey the assumption of independence of irrelevant alternatives. (b) Unobserved person-specific attributes are treated as random effects. These random effects may also be correlated across alternatives. (c) In addition, unobserved choice-specific utility components may persist over some time, creating an autoregressive and/or heteroscedastic error structure. The model is estimated by simulating the choice probabilities in the likelihood function. We examine several variants of the specification of the correlation structure and investigate the extent the biases created by ignoring intertemporal correlations.
|Date of creation:||Apr 1990|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as David Wise, ed. Topics in the Economics of Aging. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, pp. 79-108, April 1992.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Daniel L. McFadden, 1993.
"The Method of Simulated Scores for the Estimation of LDV Models,"
_023, Yale University.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Daniel L. McFadden, 1998. "The Method of Simulated Scores for the Estimation of LDV Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(4), pages 863-896, July.
- V A Hajivassiliou & DL McFadden, 1997. "The Method of Simulated Scores for the Estimation of LDV Models," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /1997/328, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- McFadden, Daniel, 1989.
"A Method of Simulated Moments for Estimation of Discrete Response Models without Numerical Integration,"
Econometric Society, vol. 57(5), pages 995-1026, September.
- Daniel McFadden, 1987. "A Method of Simulated Moments for Estimation of Discrete Response Models Without Numerical Integration," Working papers 464, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Laurence J. Kotlikoff & John N. Morris, 1987.
"How Much Care Do the Aged Receive from Their Children? A Bimodal Picture of Contact and Assistance,"
NBER Working Papers
2391, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laurence J. Kotlikoff & John N. Morris, 1989. "How Much Care Do the Aged Receive from Their Children? A Bimodal Picture of Contact and Assistance," NBER Chapters, in: The Economics of Aging, pages 151-176 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1984. "Panel data," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 22, pages 1247-1318 Elsevier.
- Pakes, Ariel & Pollard, David, 1989. "Simulation and the Asymptotics of Optimization Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(5), pages 1027-57, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:3343. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.