The Impact of Tax Reform on Charitable Giving: A 1989 Perspective
The purpose of this paper is to examine the predicted effects of tax reform in the 1980s (the tax acts of 1981 and 1986) on charitable contributions by individuals and to compare them to the actual and apparent effects, viewed from the perspective of 1989. The paper discusses what the economic models can and cannot be expected to do. Then, using published data from tax returns, the paper compares actual and predicted changes in giving as a result of both of the major tax reform acts. The paper concludes that the changes in contributions are quite consistent with the economic model of giving. As a result of these tax changes, average giving in high income classes declined. These results imply that tax policy should continue to be considered one important determinant of the level of individual charitable contributions.
|Date of creation:||Mar 1990|
|Publication status:||published as Do Taxes Matter?, Slemrod, Joel, ed., Cambridge: MIT Press, 1990.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Slemrod, Joel, 1989.
"Are Estimated Tax Elasticities Really Just Tax Evasion Elasticities? The Case of Charitable Contributions,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 71(3), pages 517-522, August.
- Joel Slemrod, 1988. "Are Estimated Tax Elasticities Really Just Tax Evasion Elasticities? The Case of Charitable Contributions," NBER Working Papers 2733, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Don Fullerton, 1991. "Tax Policy Toward Art Museums," NBER Chapters,in: The Economics of Art Museums, pages 195-236 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Don Fullerton, 1990. "Tax Policy Toward Art Museums," NBER Working Papers 3379, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Glenday, Graham & Gupta, Anil K & Pawlak, Henry, 1986. "Tax Incentives for Personal Charitable Contributions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(4), pages 688-693, November.
- Charles T. Clotfelter, 1985. "The effect of tax simplification on educational and charitable organizations," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 29, pages 187-221.
- Feldstein, Martin S & Taylor, Amy, 1976. "The Income Tax and Charitable Contributions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(6), pages 1201-1222, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)