Terms of Trade Disturbances, Real Exchange Rates and Welfare: The Role of Capital Controls and Labor Market Distortions
Many arguments that have been advanced in favor of maintaining capital control within the EEC have not paid sufficient attention to the welfare consequences of this type of market intervention. Our paper provides a simple, optimizing framework in which the welfare consequences of capital controls can be assessed. Two main issues are considered. First, how do capital controls affect the adjustment of macroeconomic variables to real disturbances? Second, what is the nature of second best arguments for maintaining capital controls given that certain distortions will remain after the European single market is in place in 1992?
|Date of creation:||Mar 1989|
|Publication status:||published as Oxford Economic Papers, Vol. 44, pp. 20-34, (1992).|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joshua Aizenman, 1986.
"On the Complementarity of Commercial Policy, Capital Controls, and Inflation Tax,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 19(1), pages 114-133, February.
- Joshua Aizenman, 1985. "On the Complementarity of Commercial Policy, Capital Controls and Inflation Tax," NBER Working Papers 1583, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1987. "Tariffs, Terms of Trade, and the Real Exchange Rate in an Intertemporal Optimizing Model of the Current Account," NBER Working Papers 2175, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1987. "Tariffs, Terms or Trade, and The Real Exchange Rate in and Intertemporal Optimizing Model of the Current Account," UCLA Economics Working Papers 429, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1983. "Real Interest Rates, Home Goods, and Optimal External Borrowing," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(1), pages 141-153, February.
- Rudiger Dornbusch, 1981. "Real Interest Rates, Home Goods, and Optimal External Borrowing," NBER Working Papers 0779, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Adams, Charles & Greenwood, Jeremy, 1985. "Dual exchange rate systems and capital controls: An investigation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1-2), pages 43-63, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)