Capital Controls as Taxation Policy
This paper studies the public finance implications ofcontrols on international financial capital flows, proposinga model of controls as distortionary taxation. The model formalizesa capital controls rule that conforms real-world stylized factsand is sustainable in the long-run. Capital controls are shownto distort agents' optimal intratemporal portfolio decisionsand intertemporal consumption decisions, affecting the dynamicsof financial and real variables. We use the model to analyzethe feasible set of tax instruments—in terms of level andmix—available to the government and the complex relationshipsbetween expenditures and taxes mediated by the foreign sector. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1997
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1990.
"Intertemporal dependence, impatience, and dynamics,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 45-75, August.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1989. "Intertemporal Dependence, Impatience, and Dynamics," NBER Working Papers 3028, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carlos A. VÃ©gh Gramont & Guillermo Calvo & Carmen Reinhart, 1994.
"Targeting the Real Exchange Rate: Theory and Evidence,"
IMF Working Papers
94/22, International Monetary Fund.
- Calvo, Guillermo A. & Reinhart, Carmen M. & Vegh, Carlos A., 1995. "Targeting the real exchange rate: theory and evidence," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 97-133, June.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Vegh, Carlos, 1994. "Targeting the real exchange rate: Theory and evidence," MPRA Paper 13412, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Vegh, Carlos, 1994. "Targeting the real exchange rate," MPRA Paper 13765, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Adams, Charles & Greenwood, Jeremy, 1985. "Dual exchange rate systems and capital controls: An investigation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1-2), pages 43-63, February.
- James Tobin, 1978.
"A Proposal for International Monetary Reform,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
506, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Joshua Aizenman, 1985.
"On the Complementarity of Commercial Policy, Capital Controls and Inflation Tax,"
NBER Working Papers
1583, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joshua Aizenman, 1986. "On the Complementarity of Commercial Policy, Capital Controls, and Inflation Tax," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 19(1), pages 114-33, February.
- Calvo, Guillermo A., 1985. "Macroeconomic implications of the government budget: Some basic considerations," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 95-112, January.
- Roubini, N. & Sala-i-Martin, X., 1992.
"A Growth Model of Inflation, Tax Evasion and Financial Repression,"
658, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Roubini, Nouriel & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1995. "A growth model of inflation, tax evasion, and financial repression," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 275-301, April.
- Nouriel Roubini & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1992. "A Growth Model of Inflation, Tax Evasion, and Financial Repression," NBER Working Papers 4062, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giovannini, Alberto & de Melo, Martha, 1993. "Government Revenue from Financial Repression," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(4), pages 953-63, September.
- Penati, Alessandro, 1987. "Government spending and the real exchange rate," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3-4), pages 237-256, May.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1986.
"Capital controls, the dual exchange rate, and devaluation,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 1-20, February.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1984. "Capital Controls, The Dual Exchange Rate, and Devaluation," NBER Working Papers 1324, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sussman, Oren, 1991. "Macroeconomic Effects of a Tax on Bond Interest Rates," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 23(3), pages 352-66, August.
- Epstein, Larry G & Hynes, J Allan, 1983. "The Rate of Time Preference and Dynamic Economic Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(4), pages 611-35, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:itaxpf:v:4:y:1997:i:3:p:263-276. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.