Decreasing Marginal Impatience and Capital Accumulation in a Two-country World Economy
This research is the first to examine dynamic general equilibrium in a growing two-country economy under decreasing marginal impatience (DMI). The stability condition is shown to be more restrictive than in the case of an endowment economy and/or under increasing marginal impatience (IMI). By analyzing global-economy adjustment to time preference shocks, international transfers, and productivity shocks, equilibrium dynamics in the presence of DMI differ drastically from what is obtained when the standard IMI model is used. For example, in a country characterized by DMI, a positive productivity shock improves the country's welfare level and lowers its steady-state time preference and, hence, the steady-state interest rate. This leads to an increase in the neighboring country's capital stock.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.iser.osaka-u.ac.jp/index-e.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shinsuke Ikeda, 2006. "Luxury And Wealth," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 47(2), pages 495-526, 05.
- Epstein, Larry G., 1987. "A simple dynamic general equilibrium model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 68-95, February.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1989.
"Intertemporal Dependence, Impatience, and Dynamics,"
NBER Working Papers
3028, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1990. "Intertemporal dependence, impatience, and dynamics," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 45-75, August.
- Ken-Ichi Hirose & Shinsuke Ikeda, 2008. "On Decreasing Marginal Impatience," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 59(3), pages 259-274.
- Andrew A. Samwick, 1997.
"Discount Rate Heterogeneity and Social Security Reform,"
NBER Working Papers
6219, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Samwick, Andrew A., 1998. "Discount rate heterogeneity and social security reform," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 117-146, October.
- Das, Mausumi, 2003. "Optimal growth with decreasing marginal impatience," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(10), pages 1881-1898, August.
- Michael B. Devereux & Shouyong Shi, 1989.
"Capital Accumulation and the Current Account in a Two-Country Model,"
761, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Devereux, Michael B. & Shi, Shouyong, 1991. "Capital accumulation and the current account in a two-country model," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 1-25, February.
- Hirose, Ken-Ichi & Ikeda, Shinsuke, 2012. "Decreasing and increasing marginal impatience and the terms of trade in an interdependent world economy," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 1551-1565.
- Epstein, Larry G & Hynes, J Allan, 1983. "The Rate of Time Preference and Dynamic Economic Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(4), pages 611-35, August.
- Shinsuke Ikeda, 2001. "Weakly non-separable preferences and the Harberger-Laursen-Metzler effect," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 34(1), pages 290-307, February.
- Ken-ichi Hirose & Shinsuke Ikeda, 2012. "Decreasing marginal impatience in a two-country world economy," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 105(3), pages 247-262, April.
- Lucas, Robert Jr. & Stokey, Nancy L., 1984.
"Optimal growth with many consumers,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 139-171, February.
- Jafarey, Saqib & Park, Hyun, 1998. "The dynamics of optimal wealth distributions with recursive utility," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 149-158, November.
- Lawrance, Emily C, 1991. "Poverty and the Rate of Time Preference: Evidence from Panel Data," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(1), pages 54-77, February.
- Epstein, Larry G, 1987. "The Global Stability of Efficient Intertemporal Allocations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 329-55, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dpr:wpaper:0882. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fumiko Matsumoto)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.