Inequalities and Patience for Tomorrow
This paper examines how impatience interacts with inequalities in economic development. In a society of intrinsic inequality, we show that (i) poor households tend to benefit more from positive shocks under decreasing marginal impatience (DMI) than uner constant marginal impatience (CMI) and increasing marginal impatience (IMI); (ii) an unequal society may be preferable for poor households under DMI; (iii) urbanization can increase the income inequality, while raising overall welfare; (iv) under DMI even if all households are allowed to own assets, with different initial asset holdings, the economy will not converge to the steady state where everybody is a capitalist.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.kier.kyoto-u.ac.jp/eng/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Per Krusell & Anthony A. Smith, Jr., .
"Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomy,"
GSIA Working Papers
1997-37, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Per Krusell & Anthony A. Smith & Jr., 1998. "Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(5), pages 867-896, October.
- Krusell, P & Smith Jr, A-A, 1995. "Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomic," RCER Working Papers 399, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Wood Júnior, Thomaz, 1995. "Workers," RAE - Revista de Administração de Empresas, FGV-EAESP Escola de Administração de Empresas de São Paulo (Brazil), vol. 35(2), January.
- Das, Mausumi, 2003. "Optimal growth with decreasing marginal impatience," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(10), pages 1881-1898, August.
- Lawrance, Emily C, 1991. "Poverty and the Rate of Time Preference: Evidence from Panel Data," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(1), pages 54-77, February.
- Andrew A. Samwick, 1997.
"Discount Rate Heterogeneity and Social Security Reform,"
NBER Working Papers
6219, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Samwick, Andrew A., 1998. "Discount rate heterogeneity and social security reform," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 117-146, October.
- Epstein, Larry G., 1987. "A simple dynamic general equilibrium model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 68-95, February.
- Saul Pleeter & John T. Warner, 2001. "The Personal Discount Rate: Evidence from Military Downsizing Programs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(1), pages 33-53, March.
- Daron Acemoglu, 2002.
"Technical Change, Inequality, and the Labor Market,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 40(1), pages 7-72, March.
- Daron Acemoglu, 2000. "Technical Change, Inequality, and the Labor Market," NBER Working Papers 7800, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Becker, Gary S & Mulligan, Casey B, 1997. "The Endogenous Determination of Time Preference," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(3), pages 729-58, August.
- Hendricks, Lutz, 2007.
"How important is discount rate heterogeneity for wealth inequality?,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 31(9), pages 3042-3068, September.
- Lutz Hendricks, 2006. "How Important Is Discount Rate Heterogeneity for Wealth Inequality?," 2006 Meeting Papers 124, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Lutz Hendricks, 2005. "How Important is Discount Rate Heterogeneity for Wealth Inequality?," CESifo Working Paper Series 1604, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hendricks, Lutz A., 1970. "How Important is Discount Rate Heterogeneity for Wealth Inequaltity," Staff General Research Papers 12724, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Fwu-Ranq Chang, 2009.
"Optimal growth and impatience: A phase diagram analysis,"
International Journal of Economic Theory,
The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 5(2), pages 245-255.
- Fwu-Ranq Chang, 2004. "Optimal Growth and Impatience: A Phase Diagram Analysis," CESifo Working Paper Series 1359, CESifo Group Munich.
- Adrian Wood, 1995. "How Trade Hurt Unskilled Workers," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 57-80, Summer.
- Huggett, Mark, 1996. "Wealth distribution in life-cycle economies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 469-494, December.
- Barsky, Robert B, et al, 1997. "Preference Parameters and Behavioral Heterogeneity: An Experimental Approach in the Health and Retirement Study," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(2), pages 537-79, May.
- S. Rao Aiyagari, 1993.
"Uninsured idiosyncratic risk and aggregate saving,"
502, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Aghion, Philippe & Bolton, Patrick, 1997. "A Theory of Trickle-Down Growth and Development," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(2), pages 151-72, April.
- Hirose, Ken-Ichi & Ikeda, Shinsuke, 2012. "Decreasing and increasing marginal impatience and the terms of trade in an interdependent world economy," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 1551-1565.
- Ken-Ichi Hirose & Shinsuke Ikeda, 2008. "On Decreasing Marginal Impatience," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 59(3), pages 259-274.
- Jerry A. Hausman, 1979. "Individual Discount Rates and the Purchase and Utilization of Energy-Using Durables," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 33-54, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kyo:wpaper:847. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ryo Okui)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.