Hypothetical Intertemporal Consumption Choices
The paper extends and replicates part of the analysis by Barsky, Juster, Kimball, and Shapiro (1997), which exploits hypothetical choices among different consumption streams to infer intertemporal substitution elasticities and rates of time preference. We use a new and much larger dataset than Barsky et al. Furthermore, we estimate structural models of intertemporal choice, while parameterizing the parameters of interest as a function of relevant individual characteristics. We also consider ''behavioral'' extensions, like habit formation. Models with habit formation appear to be superior to models with intertemporally additive preferences.
|Date of creation:||29 Aug 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, Rm E35, The Bute Building, Westburn Lane, St Andrews, KY16 9TS, UK|
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/society/annualconf.asp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- H. M. Shefrin & Richard Thaler, 1977.
"An Economic Theory of Self-Control,"
NBER Working Papers
0208, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Atkeson, A. & Ogaki, M., 1991.
"Wealth-Varying Intertemporal Elasticities of Substitution Evidence from Panel and Aggregate Data,"
RCER Working Papers
303, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Atkeson, Andrew & Ogaki, Masao, 1996. "Wealth-varying intertemporal elasticities of substitution: Evidence from panel and aggregate data," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 507-534, December.
- Spinnewyn, Frans, 1981. "Rational habit formation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 91-109.
- Jerry A. Hausman, 1979. "Individual Discount Rates and the Purchase and Utilization of Energy-Using Durables," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 33-54, Spring.
- Donkers, Bas & Melenberg, Bertrand & Van Soest, Arthur, 2001.
"Estimating Risk Attitudes Using Lotteries: A Large Sample Approach,"
Journal of Risk and Uncertainty,
Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 165-95, March.
- Donkers, A.C.D. & Melenberg, B. & van Soest, A.H.O., 1999. "Estimating Risk Attitudes Using Lotteries; A Large Sample Approach," Discussion Paper 1999-12, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Masao Ogaki & Andrew Atkeson, 1997. "Rate Of Time Preference, Intertemporal Elasticity Of Substitution, And Level Of Wealth," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 564-572, November.
- Loewenstein, George & Thaler, Richard H, 1989. "Intertemporal Choice," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 3(4), pages 181-93, Fall.
- Christopher D Carroll, 2000.
"Solving Consumption Models with Multiplicative Habits,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
421, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Carroll, Christopher D., 2000. "Solving consumption models with multiplicative habits," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 67-77, July.
- Peter J. Hammond, 1976. "Changing Tastes and Coherent Dynamic Choice," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 43(1), pages 159-173.
- Mankiw, N. Gregory & Zeldes, Stephen P., 1991.
"The consumption of stockholders and nonstockholders,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 97-112, March.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Stephen P. Zeldes, 1990. "The Consumption of Stockholders and Non-Stockholders," NBER Working Papers 3402, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mankiw, N.G. & Zeldes, S.P., 1990. "The Consumption Of Stockholders And Non-Stockholders," Weiss Center Working Papers 23-90, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- R. A. Pollak, 1968. "Consistent Planning," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(2), pages 201-208.
- David I. Laibson & Andrea Repetto & Jeremy Tobacman, 1998. "Self-Control and Saving for Retirement," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 29(1), pages 91-196.
- Robert B. Barsky & F. Thomas Juster & Miles S. Kimball & Matthew D. Shapiro, 1997. "Preference Parameters and Behavioral Heterogeneity: An Experimental Approach in the Health and Retirement Study," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(2), pages 537-579.
- Kooreman, Peter, 1995. "Individual discounting and the purchase of durables with random lifetimes," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 29-32, April.
- Victor R. Fuchs, 1980.
"Time Preference and Health: An Exploratory Study,"
NBER Working Papers
0539, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bezalel Peleg & Menahem E. Yaari, 1973. "On the Existence of a Consistent Course of Action when Tastes are Changing," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 40(3), pages 391-401.
- Epstein, Larry G & Zin, Stanley E, 1989. "Substitution, Risk Aversion, and the Temporal Behavior of Consumption and Asset Returns: A Theoretical Framework," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(4), pages 937-69, July.
- Donkers, Bas & van Soest, Arthur, 1999.
"Subjective measures of household preferences and financial decisions,"
Journal of Economic Psychology,
Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 613-642, December.
- Donkers, A.C.D. & van Soest, A.H.O., 1997. "Subjective measures of household preferences and financial decisions," Discussion Paper 1997-70, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Robert B. Barsky & Miles S. Kimball & F. Thomas Juster & Matthew D. Shapiro, 1995. "Preference Parameters and Behavioral Heterogeneity: An Experimental Approach in the Health and Retirement Survey," NBER Working Papers 5213, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles Blackorby & David Nissen & Daniel Primont & R. Robert Russell, 1973. "Consistent Intertemporal Decision Making," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 40(2), pages 239-248.
- Lawrance, Emily C, 1991. "Poverty and the Rate of Time Preference: Evidence from Panel Data," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(1), pages 54-77, February.
- Robert E. Hall, 1981.
"Intertemporal Substitution in Consumption,"
NBER Working Papers
0720, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Epstein, Larry G & Zin, Stanley E, 1991. "Substitution, Risk Aversion, and the Temporal Behavior of Consumption and Asset Returns: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(2), pages 263-86, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecj:ac2002:111. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.