Foreign Firms and Local Communities
The literature on the effects of foreign direct investment (FDI) and activities of multinational enterprises (MNEs) on host-countries has been almost exclusively focused on issues of productivity, growth and wages. We argue that this leaves quite a bit of important unexplored areas of inquiry, particularly those connected with the interactions of local communities and governments with MNEs. As an example, we provide a novel analysis of local corporate philanthropy, which shows significant differences between local- and foreign-owned corporations. We find that foreign-owned enterprises are less likely to give, but that when they do give, it is substantially more in magnitude than domestic firms, everything else equal. This evidence is consistent with the hypothesis that foreign-owned firms would prefer to use corporate social responsibility (CSR) activities on a more international scale, but will strategically use CSR activities for public relation motives when the MNE faces greater local scrutiny and/or bias.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Branstetter, Lee, 2006. "Is foreign direct investment a channel of knowledge spillovers? Evidence from Japan's FDI in the United States," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 325-344, March.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Robert C. Feenstra, 1997.
"Protectionist Threats and Foreign Direct Investment,"
NBER Chapters,in: The Effects of U.S. Trade Protection and Promotion Policies, pages 55-80
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Robert C. Feenstra, "undated". "Protectionist Threats And Foreign Direct Investment," Department of Economics 96-01, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Robert Feenstra & Bruce A. Blonigen & Harris Dellas, 2003. "Protectionist Threats and Foreign Direct Investment," Working Papers 961, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Robert C. Feenstra, 1996. "Protectionist Threats and Foreign Direct Investment," NBER Working Papers 5475, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aitken, Brian & Harrison, Ann & Lipsey, Robert E., 1996. "Wages and foreign ownership A comparative study of Mexico, Venezuela, and the United States," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-4), pages 345-371, May.
- Brian Aitken & Ann Harrison & Robert E. Lipsey, 1995. "Wages and Foreign Ownership: A Comparative Study of Mexico, Venezuela and the United States," NBER Working Papers 5102, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aitken, B. & Harrison, A. & Lipsey, R.E., 1995. "Wages and Foreign Ownership: A Comparative Study of Mexico, Venezuela, and the United States," Papers 95-21, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Branstetter, Lee G. & Feenstra, Robert C., 2002. "Trade and foreign direct investment in China: a political economy approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 335-358, December.
- Lee G. Branstetter & Robert C. Feenstra, 1999. "Trade and Foreign Direct Investment in China: A Political Economy Approach," NBER Working Papers 7100, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lisa Calvano, 2008. "Multinational Corporations and Local Communities: A Critical Analysis of Conflict," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 82(4), pages 793-805, November.
- Blonigen, Bruce A & Figlio, David N, 1998. "Voting for Protection: Does Direct Foreign Investment Influence Legislator Behavior?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(4), pages 1002-1014, September.
- Galina An & Keith E. Maskus & Thitima Puttitanun, 2008. "Duration of Rent Extraction and the Entry Mode Decision of Multinational Enterprises," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(4), pages 861-876, November.
- Durham, J.B.J. Benson, 2004. "Absorptive capacity and the effects of foreign direct investment and equity foreign portfolio investment on economic growth," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 285-306, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)