Anticipated and Unanticipated Oil Price Increases and the Current Account
This paper examines the current-account response to anticipated future increases in real oil prices as well as to unexpected increases which may be temporary or permanent in nature. The analysis is conducted using an intertemporal two-period model of a small open economy which produces both traded and nontraded goods and imports its oil. The paper identifies the channels through which various types of oil price increases affect the current account. The inclusion of nontraded investment and consumer goods permits oil price increases to generate intertemporal and static substitution effects in production and consumption which alter net international saving. Moreover, the relative oil-value-added ratio in the traded and nontraded sectors plays a crucial role in shaping these substitution effects and hence the current-account response.
|Date of creation:||Sep 1981|
|Publication status:||published as Marion, Nancy Peregrim. "Nontraded Goods, Oil Price Increases and the Current Account." Journal of International Economics, Vol. 16, No. 1/2, (February 1984), pp. 29-44.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Buiter, Willem H, 1978. "Short-run and Long-run Effects of External Disturbances under a Floating Exchange Rate," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 45(179), pages 251-272, August.
- Jeffrey D. Sachs, 1980. "Energy and Growth under Flexible Exchange Rates: A Simulation Study," NBER Working Papers 0582, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Louka T. Katseli & Nancy Peregrim Marion, 1980. "Adjustment to Variations in Imported Input Prices: The Role of Economic Structure," NBER Working Papers 0501, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ronald E. Findlay & Carlos Alfredo Rodriguez, 1977. "Intermediate Imports and Macroeconomic Policy under Flexible Exchange Rates," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 10(2), pages 208-217, May.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1980.
"Intermediate Imports, the Terms of Trade, and the Dynamics of the Exchange Rate and Current Account,"
NBER Working Papers
0540, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1980. "Intermediate imports, the terms of trade, and the dynamics of the exchange rate and current account," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 461-480, November.
- Berndt, Ernst R & Wood, David O, 1979. "Engineering and Econometric Interpretations of Energy-Capital Complementarity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(3), pages 342-354, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:0759. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.