Exchange Rates, Money and Relative Prices: The Dollar-Pound in the 1920's
This paper applies the analytical framework of the monetary approach to exchange rate determination to the analysis of the Dollar/Pound exchange rate during the first part of the 1920's. The analysis uses monthly data up to the return of Britain to gold in 1925. The equilibrium exchange rate is shown to be influenced by both real and monetary factors which operate through their influence on the relative demands and supplies of monies. Special attention is given to examination of the relationship between exchange rates and the relative price of traded to non-traded goods. In the empirical work the prices of traded goods are proxied by the wholesale price indices and the prices of non-traded are proxied by wages. One of the key findings of the paper is the estimate of the elasticity of the exchange rate with respect to the relative price of traded to non-traded goods. This elasticity is estimated with high precision and is shown to be .415 which provides an independent measure of the relative share of spending on non-traded goods. This estimate is consistent with other estimates obtained in studies of expenditure shares. The paper concluded with a dynamic simulation which indicates the satisfactory quality of the predictive ability of the model.
|Date of creation:||Jan 1980|
|Publication status:||published as Clements, Kenneth W. and Frenkel, Jacob A. "Exchange Rates, Money, and Relative Prices: The Dollar-Pound in the 1920's." Journal of International Economics, Vol. 10, No 2, (May 1980), pp 249-262.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kouri, Pentti J K, 1976. " The Exchange Rate and the Balance of Payments in the Short Run and in the Long Run: A Monetary Approach," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 78(2), pages 280-304.
- Krugman, Paul R., 1978. "Purchasing power parity and exchange rates : Another look at the evidence," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 397-407, August.
- Abel, Andrew & Dornbusch, Rudiger & Huizinga, John & Marcus, Alan, 1979. "Money demand during hyperinflation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 97-104, January.
- Calvo, Guillermo A & Rodriguez, Carlos Alfredo, 1977. "A Model of Exchange Rate Determination under Currency Substitution and Rational Expectations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(3), pages 617-625, June.
- Rodriguez, Carlos Alfredo, 1976. "The Terms of Trade and the Balance of Payments in the Short Run," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(4), pages 710-716, September.
- Bilson, John F O, 1978. "The Current Experience with Floating Exchange Rates: An Appraisal of the Monetary Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(2), pages 392-397, May.
- Clements, Kenneth W., 1978. "The demand for traded and non-traded goods in the U.S," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 361-364.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:0429. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.