Asset Price And Current Account Dynamics
We examine the interaction between asset market and current account in a small open economy. In an overlapping generations economy in which land and money are available assets, the interaction between the land price and current account dynamics is shown to generate a plausible (asset price) specie-flow mechanism. We apply them to a number of issues. Domestic credit policy is neutral in the long run: one unit of foreign reserve increase offsets one unit of credit reduction. Next, the association between the endowment of land and foreign asset accumulation depends on parameters of the model. Finally, we examine the dynamic adjustment s following a once-and-for-all capital inflow. When the adjustment involves running current account deficit, the recipient country's foreign reserve position is permanently lowered. Furthermore, the steady state level of national wealth is permanently reduced. [E4, F3]
Volume (Year): 15 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RIEJ20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RIEJ20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eaton, Jonathan, 1987.
"A Dynamic Specific-Factors Model of International Trade,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(2), pages 325-38, April.
- Jonathan Eaton, 1984. "A Dynamic Specific-Factors Model of International Trade," NBER Working Papers 1479, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maurice Obstfeld and Kenneth Rogoff., 1994.
"The Intertemporal Approach to the Current Account,"
Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers
C94-044, University of California at Berkeley.
- Jeffrey Sachs & Peter Boone, 1988. "Japanese Structural Adjustment and the Balance of Payments," NBER Working Papers 2614, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger & Giovannini, Alberto, 1990. "Monetary policy in the open economy," Handbook of Monetary Economics, in: B. M. Friedman & F. H. Hahn (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 23, pages 1231-1303 Elsevier.
- Matsuyama, Kiminori, 1990. "Residential investment and the current account," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 137-153, February.
- Cesarano, Filippo, 1998. "Hume's specie-flow mechanism and classical monetary theory: An alternative interpretation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 173-186, June.
- Sachs, Jeffrey & Boone, Peter, 1988. "Japanese structural adjustment and the balance of payments," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 286-327, September.
- Calvo, Guillermo A & Rodriguez, Carlos Alfredo, 1977. "A Model of Exchange Rate Determination under Currency Substitution and Rational Expectations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(3), pages 617-25, June.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Leiderman, Leonardo, 1994. "Capital inflows to Latin America," MPRA Paper 13406, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Robert Brandon Kahn & Adam Bennett & MarÃa Vicenta Carkovic S. & Susan Schadler, 1993. "Recent Experiences with Surges in Capital Inflows," IMF Occasional Papers 108, International Monetary Fund.
- Kemp, Murray C, 1970. "The Balance of Payments and the Terms of Trade in Relation to Financial Controls," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(1), pages 25-31, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:intecj:v:15:y:2001:i:3:p:85-108. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.