Testing for Individual Effects in Dynamic Models Using Panel Data
This note presents a simple, linear test for individual effects in dynamic models using panel data; building upon the techniques of Holtz-Eakin, Newey, and Rosen (HNR) [198S] for estimating vector autoregressions using panel data. While implementing estimators which are consistent in the presence of individual effects is straightforward, there is no guarantee that this form of heterogeneity is an -important feature of the data. Moreover, there are advantages to avoiding an individual v effects specification. Thus, it is useful to have a test for the existence of individual effects. The test focuses on sample moment conditions implied by the presence of individual effects and is particularly suited for dynamic models using panel data. The calculations follow directly from linear, instrumental variable techniques which are computationally straightforward. Moreover, the test statistics follows directly from the estimation of autoregressive models.
|Date of creation:||Jun 1986|
|Publication status:||published as Journal of Econometrics, vol. 39, pp. 297-307, 1988.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-1054, July.
- Joseph G. Altonji & Christina H. Paxson, 1986. "Job Characteristics and Hours of Work," NBER Working Papers 1895, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas Holtz-Eakin & Whitney K. Newey & Harvey S. Rosen, 1989. "Implementing Causality Tests with Panel Data, with an Example from LocalPublic Finance," NBER Technical Working Papers 0048, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-838, May.
- Hausman, Jerry A. & Taylor, William E., 1981.
"Panel data and unobservable individual effects,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 155-155, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberte:0057. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.