Testing for Individual Effects in Dynamic Models Using Panel Data
This note presents a simple, linear test for individual effects in dynamic models using panel data; building upon the techniques of Holtz-Eakin, Newey, and Rosen (HNR) [198S] for estimating vector autoregressions using panel data. While implementing estimators which are consistent in the presence of individual effects is straightforward, there is no guarantee that this form of heterogeneity is an -important feature of the data. Moreover, there are advantages to avoiding an individual v effects specification. Thus, it is useful to have a test for the existence of individual effects. The test focuses on sample moment conditions implied by the presence of individual effects and is particularly suited for dynamic models using panel data. The calculations follow directly from linear, instrumental variable techniques which are computationally straightforward. Moreover, the test statistics follows directly from the estimation of autoregressive models.
|Date of creation:||Jun 1986|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Journal of Econometrics, vol. 39, pp. 297-307, 1988.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hausman, Jerry A & Taylor, William E, 1981.
"Panel Data and Unobservable Individual Effects,"
Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1377-98, November.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Joseph G. Altonji & Christina H. Paxson, 1986.
"Job Characteristics and Hours of Work,"
NBER Working Papers
1895, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Douglas Holtz-Eakin & Whitney K. Newey & Harvey S. Rosen, 1989. "Implementing Causality Tests with Panel Data, with an Example from LocalPublic Finance," NBER Technical Working Papers 0048, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberte:0057. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.