Oligarchies in Spatial Environments
In spatial environments we consider social welfare functions satisfying Arrow’s requirements, i.e. weak Pareto and independence of irrelevant alternatives. Individual preferences measure distances between alternatives according to the Lp-norm (for a fixed p => 1). When the policy space is multi-dimensional and the set of alternatives has a non-empty interior and it is compact and convex, any quasi-transitive welfare function must be oligarchic. As a corollary we obtain that for transitive welfare functions weak Pareto, independence of irrelevant alternatives, and non-dictatorship are inconsistent if the set of alternatives has a non-empty interior and it is compact and convex.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C.P. 6128, Succ. centre-ville, Montréal (PQ) H3C 3J7|
Phone: (514) 343-6557
Fax: (514) 343-7221
Web page: http://www.cireq.umontreal.ca
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ehud Kalai & Eitan Muller & Mark Satterthwaite, 1979. "Social welfare functions when preferences are convex, strictly monotonic, and continuous," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 87-97, March.
- Ehlers,Lars & Storcken,Ton, 2001.
"Arrow's Theorem in Spatial Environments,"
006, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Michel LeBreton & John A. Weymark, 2000.
"Social Choice with Analytic Preferences,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1050, Econometric Society.
- Michel Le Breton & John A. Weymark, 2000. "Social Choice with Analytic Preferences," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0023, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics, revised Mar 2001.
- Le Breton, M. & Weymark, J.A., 1991. "Social Choice with Analytic Preferences," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 91a02, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- repec:ubc:bricol:91-28 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sethuraman, Jay & Teo, Chung-Piaw & Vohra, Rakesh V., 2006. "Anonymous monotonic social welfare functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 128(1), pages 232-254, May.
- Campbell, Donald E., 1993. "Euclidean individual preference and continuous social preference," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 541-550, November.
- Blair, Douglas H. & Pollak, Robert A., 1979. "Collective rationality and dictatorship: The scope of the arrow theorem," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 186-194, August.
- Andreu Mas-Colell & Hugo Sonnenschein, 1972. "General Possibility Theorems for Group Decisions," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 39(2), pages 185-192.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mtl:montec:09-2007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sharon BREWER)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.