Bayesian Adaptive Bandwidth Kernel Density Estimation of Irregular Multivariate Distributions
Kernel density estimation is an important technique for understanding the distributional properties of data. Some investigations have found that the estimation of a global bandwidth can be heavily affected by observations in the tail. We propose to categorize data into low- and high-density regions, to which we assign two different bandwidths called the low-density adaptive bandwidths. We derive the posterior of the bandwidth parameters through the Kullback-Leibler information. A Bayesian sampling algorithm is presented to estimate the bandwidths. Monte Carlo simulations are conducted to examine the performance of the proposed Bayesian sampling algorithm in comparison with the performance of the normal reference rule and a Bayesian sampling algorithm for estimating a global bandwidth. According to Kullback-Leibler information, the kernel density estimator with low-density adaptive bandwidths estimated through the proposed Bayesian sampling algorithm outperforms the density estimators with bandwidth estimated through the two competitors. We apply the low-density adaptive kernel density estimator to the estimation of the bivariate density of daily stock-index returns observed from the U.S. and Australian stock markets. The derived conditional distribution of the Australian stock-index return for a given daily return in the U.S. market enables market analysts to understand how the former market is associated with the latter.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/depts/ebs/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/depts/ebs/pubs/wpapers/ Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philippe Vieu, 1999. "Multiple Kernel Procedure: an Asymptotic Support," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 26(1), pages 61-72.
- Kim, Sangjoon & Shephard, Neil & Chib, Siddhartha, 1998.
"Stochastic Volatility: Likelihood Inference and Comparison with ARCH Models,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(3), pages 361-93, July.
- Sangjoon Kim, Neil Shephard & Siddhartha Chib, . "Stochastic volatility: likelihood inference and comparison with ARCH models," Economics Papers W26, revised version of W, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Jacquier, Polson, Rossi (1994) stochastic volatility," Statistical Software Components RTZ00105, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Sangjoon Kim & Neil Shephard, 1994. "Stochastic volatility: likelihood inference and comparison with ARCH models," Economics Papers 3., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Sangjoon Kim & Neil Shephard & Siddhartha Chib, 1996. "Stochastic Volatility: Likelihood Inference And Comparison With Arch Models," Econometrics 9610002, EconWPA.
- Tom Doan, . "KSCPOSTDRAW: RATS procedure to draw from posterior density needed in stochastic volatility model," Statistical Software Components RTS00101, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- M. Jácome & I. Gijbels & R. Cao, 2008. "Comparison of presmoothing methods in kernel density estimation under censoring," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 381-406, July.
- Marron, J. S. & Nolan, D., 1988. "Canonical kernels for density estimation," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 195-199, December.
- Shuowen Hu & D.S. Poskitt & Xibin Zhang, 2010.
"Bayesian Adaptive Bandwidth Kernel Density Estimation of Irregular Multivariate Distributions,"
Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers
21/10, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Hu, Shuowen & Poskitt, D.S. & Zhang, Xibin, 2012. "Bayesian adaptive bandwidth kernel density estimation of irregular multivariate distributions," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 732-740.
- Tarn Duong & Martin L. Hazelton, 2005. "Cross-validation Bandwidth Matrices for Multivariate Kernel Density Estimation," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 32(3), pages 485-506.
- Stephan R. Sain, 2002. "Zero-Bias Locally Adaptive Density Estimators," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 29(3), pages 441-460.
- Tae-Hwy Lee & Yong Bao & Burak Saltoglu, 2006. "Evaluating predictive performance of value-at-risk models in emerging markets: a reality check," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(2), pages 101-128.
- Horová Ivana & Vieu Philippe & Zelinka Jiří, 2002. "Optimal Choice Of Nonparametric Estimates Of A Density And Of Its Derivatives," Statistics & Risk Modeling, De Gruyter, vol. 20(1-4), pages 355-378, April.
- Adelchi Azzalini & Antonella Capitanio, 2003. "Distributions generated by perturbation of symmetry with emphasis on a multivariate skew "t"-distribution," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 65(2), pages 367-389.
- Sain, Stephan R., 2002. "Multivariate locally adaptive density estimation," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 165-186, April.
- Abramson, Ian S., 1982. "Arbitrariness of the pilot estimator in adaptive kernel methods," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 562-567, December.
- Zhang, Xibin & King, Maxwell L. & Hyndman, Rob J., 2006. "A Bayesian approach to bandwidth selection for multivariate kernel density estimation," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(11), pages 3009-3031, July.
- Holmes, Michael P. & Gray, Alexander G. & Isbell Jr., Charles Lee, 2010. "Fast kernel conditional density estimation: A dual-tree Monte Carlo approach," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(7), pages 1707-1718, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:msh:ebswps:2010-21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simone Grose)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.