Bayesian adaptive bandwidth kernel density estimation of irregular multivariate distributions
In this paper, we propose a new methodology for multivariate kernel density estimation in which data are categorized into low- and high-density regions as an underlying mechanism for assigning adaptive bandwidths. We derive the posterior density of the bandwidth parameters via the Kullback–Leibler divergence criterion and use a Markov chain Monte Carlo (MCMC) sampling algorithm to estimate the adaptive bandwidths. The resulting estimator is referred to as the tail-adaptive density estimator. Monte Carlo simulation results show that the tail-adaptive density estimator outperforms the global-bandwidth density estimators implemented using different global bandwidth selection rules. The inferential potential of the tail-adaptive density estimator is demonstrated by employing the estimator to estimate the bivariate density of daily index returns observed from the USA and Australian stock markets.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Hu, Shuowen & Poskitt, D.S. & Zhang, Xibin, 2012.
"Bayesian adaptive bandwidth kernel density estimation of irregular multivariate distributions,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 732-740.
- Shuowen Hu & D.S. Poskitt & Xibin Zhang, 2010. "Bayesian Adaptive Bandwidth Kernel Density Estimation of Irregular Multivariate Distributions," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 21/10, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Horová Ivana & Vieu Philippe & Zelinka Jiří, 2002. "Optimal Choice Of Nonparametric Estimates Of A Density And Of Its Derivatives," Statistics & Risk Modeling, De Gruyter, vol. 20(1-4), pages 355-378, April.
- Philippe Vieu, 1999. "Multiple Kernel Procedure: an Asymptotic Support," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 26(1), pages 61-72.
- Sangjoon Kim & Neil Shephard, 1994.
"Stochastic volatility: likelihood inference and comparison with ARCH models,"
3., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Kim, Sangjoon & Shephard, Neil & Chib, Siddhartha, 1998. "Stochastic Volatility: Likelihood Inference and Comparison with ARCH Models," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(3), pages 361-93, July.
- Sangjoon Kim, Neil Shephard & Siddhartha Chib, . "Stochastic volatility: likelihood inference and comparison with ARCH models," Economics Papers W26, revised version of W, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Sangjoon Kim & Neil Shephard & Siddhartha Chib, 1996. "Stochastic Volatility: Likelihood Inference And Comparison With Arch Models," Econometrics 9610002, EconWPA.
- Adelchi Azzalini & Antonella Capitanio, 2003. "Distributions generated by perturbation of symmetry with emphasis on a multivariate skew "t"-distribution," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 65(2), pages 367-389.
- Sain, Stephan R., 2002. "Multivariate locally adaptive density estimation," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 165-186, April.
- Stephan R. Sain, 2002. "Zero-Bias Locally Adaptive Density Estimators," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 29(3), pages 441-460.
- Zhang, Xibin & King, Maxwell L. & Hyndman, Rob J., 2006. "A Bayesian approach to bandwidth selection for multivariate kernel density estimation," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(11), pages 3009-3031, July.
- Tarn Duong & Martin L. Hazelton, 2005. "Cross-validation Bandwidth Matrices for Multivariate Kernel Density Estimation," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 32(3), pages 485-506.
- Tae-Hwy Lee & Yong Bao & Burak Saltoglu, 2006. "Evaluating predictive performance of value-at-risk models in emerging markets: a reality check," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(2), pages 101-128.
- Abramson, Ian S., 1982. "Arbitrariness of the pilot estimator in adaptive kernel methods," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 562-567, December.
- Marron, J. S. & Nolan, D., 1988. "Canonical kernels for density estimation," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 195-199, December.
- M. Jácome & I. Gijbels & R. Cao, 2008. "Comparison of presmoothing methods in kernel density estimation under censoring," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 381-406, July.
- Holmes, Michael P. & Gray, Alexander G. & Isbell Jr., Charles Lee, 2010. "Fast kernel conditional density estimation: A dual-tree Monte Carlo approach," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(7), pages 1707-1718, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:56:y:2012:i:3:p:732-740. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.