The Impact of Immigration on Native Workers in Australia
Immigration leads to a change in the supply of workers across skill groups. The resulting impact on employment and earnings of native workers is estimated using an innovative approach developed by Borjas (2003). The approach takes into account the skill differentials in the labour force and defines skill groups of workers in terms of their education and work experience. We find that an increase in the proportion of immigrants has a significant positive effect on labour market outcomes for native workers. This finding challenges widely held perceptions that immigration erodes labour market outcomes for native workers.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/eco/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/eco/research/papers/ Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harrison, David S, 1984. "The Impact of Immigration on a Depressed Labour Market: The South Australian Experience," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 60(168), pages 57-67, March.
- Paul W. Miller & Leanne M. Neo, 2003. "Labour Market Flexibility and Immigrant Adjustment," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 79(246), pages 336-356, 09.
- Prem J. Thapa, 2004. "On the risk of unemployment: a comparative assessment of the labour market success of migrants in Australia," Australian Journal of Labour Economics (AJLE), Bankwest Curtin Economics Centre (BCEC), Curtin Business School, vol. 7(2), pages 199-229, June.
- Addison, Thomas & Worswick, Christopher, 2002. "The Impact of Immigration on the Earnings of Natives: Evidence from Australian Micro Data," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 78(240), pages 68-78, March.
- Matthew W. Peter & George Verikios, 1995.
"The Effects of Immigration on Residents' Incomes in Australia: Some Issues Reconsidered,"
Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers
g-115, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Matthew W. Peter & George Verikios, 1996. "The Effect of Immigration on Residents' Incomes in Australia: Some Issues Reconsidered," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 29(2), pages 171-188.
- David Card & Thomas Lemieux, 2000.
"Can Falling Supply Explain the Rising Return to College for Younger Men? A Cohort-Based Analysis,"
NBER Working Papers
7655, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Card & Thomas Lemieux, 2001. "Can Falling Supply Explain The Rising Return To College For Younger Men? A Cohort-Based Analysis," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 116(2), pages 705-746, May.
- George J. Borjas, 2003.
"The Labor Demand Curve is Downward Sloping: Reexamining the Impact of Immigration on the Labor Market,"
NBER Working Papers
9755, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George J. Borjas, 2003. "The Labor Demand Curve Is Downward Sloping: Reexamining The Impact Of Immigration On The Labor Market," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 118(4), pages 1335-1374, November.
- Chapman, Bruce & Cobb-Clark, Deborah, 1999. "A Comparative Static Model of the Relationship between Immigration and the Short-Run Job Prospects of Unemployed Residents," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 75(231), pages 358-68, December.
- Jordan Shan, 1999. "Immigration and Unemployment: New evidence from Australia and New Zealand," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(2), pages 253-260.
- Hsiao-Chuan Chang, 2004. "The Impact of Immigration on the Wage Differential in Australia," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 80(248), pages 49-57, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mos:moswps:archive-40. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simon Angus)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.