Turnover, Ownership and Productivity in Malaysian Manufacturing
Applying Foster, Haltiwanger and Krizanâ€Ÿs (1998) decomposition of productivity growth method to Malaysian manufacturing census data for 2000 and 2005, we analyse if firm turnover by ownership (domestic versus foreign) has any impact on the sectorâ€Ÿs aggregate productivity growth. The findings show that turnover matters regardless of ownership but, more importantly, attracting foreign direct investment inflows could induce positive â€žnet entry effectâ€Ÿ. The manufacturing sectorâ€Ÿs heavy dependence on FDI is underscored by the significant contribution of large MNCs to export value. Foreign entrants also have an important positive impact on sector productivity. The analysis shows that large-sized foreign and domestic entrants are more productive than medium-sized and especially small-sized ones. Among survivors, large foreign and domestic establishments fare the worst. Mediumsized domestic survivors, on the other hand, contribute the most to boosting sector productivity. The study demonstrates the usefulness of such an analytical framework by drawing out important implications for state industrial policies based on ownership and firm size.
|Date of creation:||May 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/eco/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/eco/research/papers/ Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Harris & Catherine Robinson, 2003. "Foreign Ownership and Productivity in the United Kingdom Estimates for U.K. Manufacturing Using the ARD," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 22(3), pages 207-223, May.
- Barbara M. Roberts & Steve Thompson, 2005.
"Firm Turnover, Restructuring and Labour Productivity in Transition: The Case of Poland,"
Discussion Papers in Economics
05/27, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Barbara Roberts & Steve Thompson, 2009. "Firm turnover, restructuring and labour productivity in transition: the case of Poland," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(9), pages 1127-1136.
- JosÈ Mata & Pedro Portugal, 2004.
"Patterns of Entry, Post-Entry Growth and Survival: A Comparison Between Domestic and Foreign Owned Firms,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 22(3_4), pages 283-298, 04.
- José Mata & Pedro Portugal, 2002. "Patterns of Entry, Post-Entry Growth and Survival: A Comparison Between Domestic and Foreign Owned Firms," Working Papers w200204, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Karolina Ekholm & Rikard Forslid & James R. Markusen, 2007.
"Export-Platform Foreign Direct Investment,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 5(4), pages 776-795, 06.
- Jim Markusen & Caroline Ekholm, Rikard Forslid, 2005. "Export-Platform Foreign Direct Investment," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp050, IIIS.
- Ekholm, Karolina & Forslid, Rikard & Markusen, James R., 2003. "Export-Platform Foreign Direct Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 3823, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Karolina Ekholm & Rikard Forslid & James Markusen, 2003. "Export-Platform Foreign Direct Investment," NBER Working Papers 9517, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven Globerman & John C. Ries & Ilan Vertinsky, 1994. "The Economic Performance of Foreign Affiliates in Canada," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 27(1), pages 143-56, February.
- Frances Ruane & Ali Ugur, 2005.
"Export Platform FDI and Dualistic Development,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Frances Ruane & Ali U?ur, 2005. "Export Platform FDI and Dualistic Development," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp028, IIIS.
- Griliches, Zvi & Regev, Haim, 1995. "Firm productivity in Israeli industry 1979-1988," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 175-203, January.
- Ann E. Harrison & Brian J. Aitken, 1999. "Do Domestic Firms Benefit from Direct Foreign Investment? Evidence from Venezuela," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 605-618, June.
- Nigel Driffield & Max Munday, 1998. "The impact of foreign direct investment on UK manufacturing: is there a profit squeeze in domestic firms?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(5), pages 705-709.
- Lucia Foster & John C. Haltiwanger & C. J. Krizan, 2001.
"Aggregate Productivity Growth. Lessons from Microeconomic Evidence,"
in: New Developments in Productivity Analysis, pages 303-372
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Haltiwanger & C J Krizan & Lucia Foster, 1998. "Aggregate Productivity Growth: Lessons From Microeconomic Evidence," Working Papers 98-12, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Lucia Foster & John Haltiwanger & C.J. Krizan, 1998. "Aggregate Productivity Growth: Lessons from Microeconomic Evidence," NBER Working Papers 6803, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521465618 is not listed on IDEAS
- Baldwin, John R. & Harchaoui, Tarek, 2002. "Productivity Growth in Canada," Productivity Growth in Canada, Statistics Canada, Economic Analysis, number stcb6e, December.
- Pfaffermayr, Michael & Bellak, Christian, 2000. "Why foreign-owned firms are different : a conceptual framework and empirical evidence for Austria," HWWA Discussion Papers 115, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Mary O'Mahony & Dr Michela Vecchi, 2002. "Do Intangible Investments Affect Companies' Productivity Performance?," NIESR Discussion Papers 141, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Rasiah, Rajah, 2003. "Foreign ownership, technology and electronics exports from Malaysia and Thailand," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 785-811, October.
- Van Biesebroeck, Johannes, 2005. "Firm Size Matters: Growth and Productivity Growth in African Manufacturing," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 53(3), pages 545-83, April.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521633574 is not listed on IDEAS
- Menon, Jayant, 1998. "Total factor productivity growth in foreign and domestic firms in Malaysian manufacturing," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 251-280.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mos:moswps:2010-13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simon Angus)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.