Modeling Time and Macroeconomic Dynamics
In this paper, we analyze the importance of the frequency of decision making for macroeconomic dynamics. We explain how the frequency of decision making (period length) and the unit of time measurement (calibration frequency) differ and study the implications of this difference for macroeconomic modelling. We construct a generic dynamic general equilibrium model that nests a wide range of macroeconomic models and which leaves the period length as an undetermined parameter. We provide a series of examples (variations of the Cass-Koopmans and the New Keynesian models) that fit into this framework and use these to do comparative dynamics with respect to the period length. In particular, we analyze local stability and how this is affected by changes in the period length. We find that in models with endogenous capital accumulation, as the period gets longer, indeterminacy occurs less often. Moreover, as economic agents become less patient and as capital depreciates more, indeterminacy also occurs less often. We also show that, in the case of the New Keynesian model, standard continuous and discrete time versions have entirely different local stability properties due to a discontinuity at zero period length.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||03 Sep 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.essex.ac.uk/afm/mmf/index.html|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dupor, Bill, 2001.
"Investment and Interest Rate Policy,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 85-113, May.
- Bill Dupor, 2000. "Investment and Interest Rate Policy," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0007, Econometric Society.
- L. G. Telser & R. L. Graves, 1968. "Continuous and Discrete Time Approaches to a Maximization Problem," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(3), pages 307-325.
- Siu Fai Leung, 1995. "A distinction between continuous-time and discrete-time models of uncertain lifetime," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 47(3-4), pages 291-296, March.
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martin Uribe, 1995.
"Balanced-budget rules, distortionary taxes, and aggregate instability,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
95-44, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Schmitt-Grohe, Stephanie & Uribe, Martin, 1997. "Balanced-Budget Rules, Distortionary Taxes, and Aggregate Instability," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(5), pages 976-1000, October.
- Benhabib, Jess & Farmer, Roger E.A., 1991.
"Indeterminacy and Increasing Returns,"
91-59, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Luis A. Puch & Omar Licandro, 2006.
"Is Discrete Time a Good Representation of Continuous Time?,"
- Omar Licandro & Luis A. Puch, 2006. "Is Discrete Time a Good Representation of Continuous Time?," Economics Working Papers ECO2006/28, European University Institute.
- Guo, Jang-Ting, 2004. "Increasing returns, capital utilization, and the effects of government spending," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 1059-1078, March.
- David Aadland & Kevin X.D. Huang, 2002.
"Consistent High-Frequency Calibration,"
0211007, EconWPA, revised 08 Jan 2003.
- David Aadland & Kevin Huang, 2002. "Consistent High-Frequency Calibration," Working Papers 2002-01, Utah State University, Department of Economics.
- Kevin X.D. Huang & David Aadland, 2003. "Consistent High-Frequency Calibration," Computing in Economics and Finance 2003 172, Society for Computational Economics.
- Huang, Kevin X.D. & Meng, Qinglai, 2007.
"Capital and macroeconomic instability in a discrete-time model with forward-looking interest rate rules,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 31(8), pages 2802-2826, August.
- Kevin X. D. Huang & Qinglai Meng, 2007. "Capital and macroeconomic instability in a discrete-time model with forward-looking interest rate rules," Working Papers 07-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Hintermaier, Thomas, 2004.
"A Sunspot Paradox,"
150, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Marianne Baxter & Robert G. King, 1991. "Productive externalities and business cycles," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 53, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Carlstrom, Charles T. & Fuerst, Timothy S., 2005.
"Investment and interest rate policy: a discrete time analysis,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 123(1), pages 4-20, July.
- Charles T. Carlstrom & Timothy S. Fuerst, 2003. "Investment and interest rate policy: a discrete time analysis," Working Paper 0320, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Gary Hansen, 2010.
"Indivisible Labor and the Business Cycle,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
233, David K. Levine.
- Benhabib, Jess, 2004. "Interest Rate Policy in Continuous Time with Discrete Delays," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(1), pages 1-15, February.
- Roger E.A. Farmer & Jang Ting Guo, 1992.
"Real Business Cycles and the Animal Spirits Hypothesis,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
680, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Farmer Roger E. A. & Guo Jang-Ting, 1994. "Real Business Cycles and the Animal Spirits Hypothesis," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 42-72, June.
- Mercenier, Jean & Michel, Philippe, 1994. "Discrete-Time Finite Horizon Appromixation of Infinite Horizon Optimization Problems with Steady-State Invariance," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(3), pages 635-56, May.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1982.
"Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1345-70, November.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Web interface for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4a, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Executable program for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J & Burmeister, Edwin, 1977. "Perfect Foresight, Expectational Consistency, and Macroeconomic Equilibrium," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(2), pages 379-93, April.
- Kazuo Mino & Kazuo Nishimura & Koji Shimomura & Ping Wang, 2005.
"Equilibrium Dynamics in Discrete-Time Endogenous Growth Models with Social Constant Returns,"
Discussion Papers in Economics and Business
05-34, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Kazuo Mino & Kazuo Nishimura & Koji Shimomura & Ping Wang, 2008. "Equilibrium dynamics in discrete-time endogenous growth models with social constant returns," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 34(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Mauro BAMBI & Omar LICANDRO, 2004. "(In)determinacy and Time-to-Build," Economics Working Papers ECO2004/17, European University Institute.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J, 1977. "On the Formulation of Continuous Time Macroeconomic Models with Asset Accumulation," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(1), pages 1-28, February.
- Fabrice Collard & Omar Licandro & Luis A. Puch, 2006. "Time-to-Build Echoes," Working Papers 2006-16, FEDEA.
- Foley, Duncan K, 1975. "On Two Specifications of Asset Equilibrium in Macroeconomic Models," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(2), pages 303-24, April.
- Mitra, Tapan, 1998. "On the relationship between discounting and complicated behavior in dynamic optimization models," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 33(3-4), pages 421-434, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mmf:mmfc05:60. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.