Price Cycles and Price Leadership in Gasoline Markets: New Evidence from Canada
This paper studies the determinants of Edgeworth Cycles, price leadership and coordination in retail gasoline markets using daily station-level price data for 110 markets in Ontario, Canada for 2007-2008. We find an “inverse-U” relationship between markets’ propensity to exhibit price cycles and their size. More concentrated markets are less likely to exhibits cycles and we highlight regional clustering among cycling and non-cycling markets. Within cycling markets, we find brands’ stations (Esso, Shell,Petro-Canada, Sunoco) lead price jumps and coordinate market prices, while independents (Ultramar, Pioneer, Olco, MacEwen) aggressively undercut prices over the cycle.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, The University of Melbourne, 4th Floor, FBE Building, Level 4, 111 Barry Street. Victoria, 3010, Australia|
Phone: +61 3 8344 5355
Fax: +61 3 8344 6899
Web page: http://fbe.unimelb.edu.au/economics
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Severin Borenstein & A. Colin Cameron & Richard Gilbert, 1997.
"Do Gasoline Prices Respond Asymmetrically to Crude Oil Price Changes?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 112(1), pages 305-339.
- Severin Borenstein & A. Colin Cameron, 1992. "Do Gasoline Prices Respond Asymmetrically to Crude Oil Price Changes?," NBER Working Papers 4138, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Victor Aguirregabiria, 1999. "The Dynamics of Markups and Inventories in Retailing Firms," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 66(2), pages 275-308.
- Matthew S. Lewis, 2009. "Temporary Wholesale Gasoline Price Spikes Have Long-Lasting Retail Effects: The Aftermath of Hurricane Rita," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 52(3), pages 581-605, 08.
- Matthew Lewis & Michael Noel, 2011.
"The Speed of Gasoline Price Response in Markets with and without Edgeworth Cycles,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 93(2), pages 672-682, May.
- Lewis, Matt & Noel, Michael, 2009. "The Speed of Gasoline Price Response in Markets With and Without Edgeworth Cycles," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt8j36j1s1, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Joseph G. Hirschberg & Esfandiar Maasoumi & Daniel Slottje & Augustine C. Arize, 2002.
"Antitrust Issues in International Comparisons of Market Structure,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
836, The University of Melbourne.
- Hirschberg, Joseph G. & Maasoumi, Esfandiar & Slottje, Daniel & Arize, Augustine C., 2003. "Antitrust issues in international comparisons of market structure," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 129-158, March.
- Andrew Eckert & Douglas S. West, 2004. "A tale of two cities: Price uniformity and price volatility in gasoline retailing," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 38(1), pages 25-46, 03.
- George Deltas, 2008. "RETAIL GASOLINE PRICE DYNAMICS AND LOCAL MARKET POWER -super-," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(3), pages 613-628, 09.
- Michael D. Noel, 2011. "Edgeworth price cycles," The New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics, Palgrave Macmillan.
- Eckert, Andrew, 2003. "Retail price cycles and the presence of small firms," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 151-170, February.
- Eckert, Andrew & West, Douglas S., 2005. "Price uniformity and competition in a retail gasoline market," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 219-237, February.
- Matthew S. Lewis & Howard P. Marvel, 2011. "When Do Consumers Search?," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(3), pages 457-483, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mlb:wpaper:1124. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Katherine Perez)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.