A Lower VAT Rate on Electricity in Portugal: Towards a Cleaner Environment, Better Economic Performance, and Less Inequality
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Pereira, Alfredo Marvão & Pereira, Rui Manuel, 2018. "A lower vat rate on electricity in Portugal: Towards a cleaner environment, better economic performance, and less inequality," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 117(C), pages 1-13.
References listed on IDEAS
- Stefan Boeters & Christoph Bohringer & Thiess Buttner & Margit Kraus, 2010. "Economic effects of VAT reforms in Germany," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(17), pages 2165-2182.
- Pereira, Alfredo M. & Pereira, Rui M. & Rodrigues, Pedro G., 2016.
"A new carbon tax in Portugal: A missed opportunity to achieve the triple dividend?,"
Elsevier, vol. 93(C), pages 110-118.
- Alfredo Marvão Pereira & Rui M. Pereira & Pedro G. Rodriguesa, 2016. "A New Carbon Tax in Portugal: A Missed Opportunity to Achieve the Triple Dividend?," Working Papers 161, Department of Economics, College of William and Mary.
- Pereira, Alfredo M. & Pereira, Rui M., 2014.
"On the environmental, economic and budgetary impacts of fossil fuel prices: A dynamic general equilibrium analysis of the Portuguese case,"
Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 248-261.
- Alfredo Marvão Pereira & Rui M. Pereira, 2011. "On the environmental, economic and budgetary impacts of fossil fuel prices: A dynamic general equilibrium analysis of the Portuguese case," Working Papers 110, Department of Economics, College of William and Mary.
- Christos Karydas & Lin Zhang, 2017. "Green tax reform, endogenous innovation and the growth dividend," CER-ETH Economics working paper series 17/266, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Keshab Bhattarai & Jonathan Haughton & David G. Tuerck, 2016. "The economic effects of the fair tax: analysis of results of a dynamic CGE model of the US economy," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 451-466, July.
- Argia M. Sbordone & Andrea Tambalotti & Krishna Rao & Kieran Walsh, 2010. "Policy analysis using DSGE models: an introduction," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Oct, pages 23-43.
- Isabel Correia, 2010. "Consumption Taxes and Redistribution," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(4), pages 1673-1694, September.
- Chung Tran & Sebastian Wende, 2017. "On the Marginal Excess Burden of Taxation in an Overlapping Generations Model," ANU Working Papers in Economics and Econometrics 2017-652, Australian National University, College of Business and Economics, School of Economics.
- Brita Bye & Birger Strøm & Turid Åvitsland, 2012. "Welfare effects of VAT reforms: a general equilibrium analysis," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 19(3), pages 368-392, June.
- Jean Luc Erero, 2015. "Effects of Increases in Value Added Tax: A Dynamic CGE Approach," Working Papers 558, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Olivier Blanchard, 2016. "Do DSGE Models Have a Future?," Policy Briefs PB16-11, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Diamond, P. A., 1975. "A many-person Ramsey tax rule," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 335-342, November.
- repec:ibn:ijefaa:v:9:y:2017:i:5:p:20-35 is not listed on IDEAS
- Don Fullerton & Garth Heutel & Gilbert E. Metcalf, 2012.
"Does the Indexing of Government Transfers Make Carbon Pricing Progressive?,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 94(2), pages 347-353.
- Don Fullerton & Garth Heutel & Gilbert E. Metcalf, 2011. "Does the Indexing of Government Transfers Make Carbon Pricing Progressive?," NBER Working Papers 16768, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Don Fullerton & Garth Heutel & Gilbert Metcalf, 2011. "Does the Indexing of Government Transfers Make Carbon Pricing Progressive?," CESifo Working Paper Series 3315, CESifo Group Munich.
- repec:eee:eneeco:v:65:y:2017:i:c:p:335-342 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:kap:enreec:v:67:y:2017:i:2:d:10.1007_s10640-015-9984-z is not listed on IDEAS
- Atkinson, A. B. & Stiglitz, J. E., 1972. "The structure of indirect taxation and economic efficiency," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 97-119, April.
- Annicchiarico, Barbara & Battles, Susan & Di Dio, Fabio & Molina, Pierfrancesco & Zoppoli, Pietro, 2017. "GHG mitigation schemes and energy policies: A model-based assessment for the Italian economy," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 495-509.
- Peter Sørensen, 2007. "The theory of optimal taxation: what is the policy relevance?," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 14(4), pages 383-406, August.
- Bergman, Lars, 2005. "CGE Modeling of Environmental Policy and Resource Management," Handbook of Environmental Economics, in: K. G. Mäler & J. R. Vincent (ed.), Handbook of Environmental Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 24, pages 1273-1306, Elsevier.
- Jorgenson, Dale W. & Goettle, Richard J. & Ho, Mun S. & Wilcoxen, Peter J., 2013. "Energy, the Environment and US Economic Growth," Handbook of Computable General Equilibrium Modeling, in: Peter B. Dixon & Dale Jorgenson (ed.), Handbook of Computable General Equilibrium Modeling, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 0, pages 477-552, Elsevier.
- Bhattacharyya, Subhes C., 1996. "Applied general equilibrium models for energy studies: a survey," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 145-164, July.
- Atkinson, A. B. & Stiglitz, J. E., 1976. "The design of tax structure: Direct versus indirect taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1-2), pages 55-75.
- Cláudia Braz & Jorge Correia da Cunha, 2009. "The Redistributive Effects of VAT in Portugal," Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles and Banco de Portugal Economic Studies, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Pereira, Alfredo & Pereira, Rui, 2017. "The Role of Electricity for the Decarbonization of the Portuguese Economy - DGEP Technical Report," MPRA Paper 84782, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lawrence H. Goulder & Ian W. H. Parry, 2008. "Instrument Choice in Environmental Policy," Review of Environmental Economics and Policy, Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 2(2), pages 152-174, Summer.
- Labandeira, Xavier & Labeaga, José M. & Rodríguez, Miguel, 2009. "An integrated economic and distributional analysis of energy policies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5776-5786, December.
- Turid Avitsland & Jorgen Aasness, 2006. "Combining microsimulation and CGE models: Effects on equality of VAT reforms," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 132, Society for Computational Economics.
More about this item
KeywordsValue-Added Tax on Electricity; Tax on Petroleum Products; Macroeconomic Effects; Distributional Effects; Environmental Effects; Portugal;
- C68 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computable General Equilibrium Models
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
- H23 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Externalities; Redistributive Effects; Environmental Taxes and Subsidies
- Q43 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Energy and the Macroeconomy
- Q48 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Government Policy
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-CMP-2018-01-08 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-ENE-2018-01-08 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2018-01-08 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2018-01-08 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-PBE-2018-01-08 (Public Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mde:wpaper:0090. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ricardo Pinheiro Alves). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/geegvpt.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.