Classical Competition and Regulating Capital: Theory and Empirical Evidence
In this article we discuss the salient features of the classical and neoclassical theories of competition and we test their fundamental propositions using data from Greek manufacturing industries. The cross section data of 3-digit (total 91) industries of the three (pooled together) census years show no evidence of a direct statistical relationship between the degree of concentration and profitability. The econometric analysis of time series data for 2-digit industries lends support to the hypothesis for the long-run tendential equalization of incremental rates of return to the economy’s average incremental rate of return.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521306935 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mill, John Stuart, 1848. "Principles of Political Economy (III): Exchange," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, volume 3, number mill1848-3.
- Maria Christidou & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2010.
"Purchasing Power Parity and the European Single Currency: Some New Evidence,"
Koç University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers
1018, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Christidou, Maria & Panagiotidis, Theodore, 2010. "Purchasing Power Parity and the European single currency: Some new evidence," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1116-1123, September.
- Maria Christidou & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2010. "Purchasing Power Parity and the European Single Currency: Some New Evidence," Working Paper Series 19_10, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Maria Christidou & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2010. "Purchasing Power Parity and the European Single Currency: Some New Evidence," Discussion Paper Series 2010_03, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Apr 2010.
- n/a, 2001. "Balance of payments prospects in EMU," NIESR Discussion Papers 164, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Anwar M. Shaikh, 1995.
"The Stock Market and the Corporate Sector: Profit-Based Approach,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_146, Levy Economics Institute.
- Anwar M. Shaikh, 1998. "The Stock Market and the Corporate Sector: A Profit-Based Approach," Macroeconomics 9811007, EconWPA.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521101592 is not listed on IDEAS
- Flaschel, Peter & Semmler, Willi, 1987. "Classical and Neoclassical Competitive Adjustment Processes," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 55(1), pages 13-37, March.
- Shaikh, Anwar, 1980. "Marxian Competition versus Perfect Competition: Further Comments on the So-Called Choice of Technique," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(1), pages 75-83, March.
- Dumenil, Gerard & Levy, Dominique, 1987. "The Dynamics of Competition: A Restoration of the Classical Analysis," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(2), pages 133-64, June.
- Vassilis Droucopoulos & Theodore Papadogonas, 2000. "Concentration Indices: Back to the Drawing Board Patterns in Neighboring Areas," Ekonomia, Cyprus Economic Society and University of Cyprus, vol. 4(1), pages 55-72, Summer.
- Schmalensee, Richard, 1989.
"Inter-industry studies of structure and performance,"
Handbook of Industrial Organization,
in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 16, pages 951-1009
- Schmalensee, Richard., 1987. "Inter-industry studies of structure and performance," Working papers 1874-87., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Mill, John Stuart, 1848. "Principles of Political Economy (II): Distribution," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, volume 2, number mill1848-2.
- Kaskarelis, Ioannis & Tsoulfidis, Lefteris, 1999. "Inflation, Demand, Import Competition and Markups in Greek Manufacturing Industries," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 52(2), pages 151-171.
- M Webber & S Tonkin, 1990. "Profitability and Capital Accumulation in Canadian Manufacturing Industries," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 22(8), pages 1051-1071, August.
- Clifton, James A, 1977. "Competition and the Evolution of the Capitalist Mode of Production," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 1(2), pages 137-51, June.
- Mason, Patrick L., 1994. "An empirical derivation of the industry wage equation," MPRA Paper 11325, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lefteris Tsoulfidis & Persefoni Tsaliki, 2005. "Marxian Theory of Competition and the Concept of Regulating Capital: Evidence from Greek Manufacturing," Review of Radical Political Economics, Union for Radical Political Economics, vol. 37(1), pages 5-22, March.
- Kapetanios, George & Shin, Yongcheol & Snell, Andy, 2003. "Testing for a unit root in the nonlinear STAR framework," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 359-379, February.
- Ajit Zacharias, 2001. "Testing Profit Rate Equalization in the U.S. Manufacturing Sector: 1947-1998," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_321, Levy Economics Institute.
- Andrea Vaona, 2011. "An empirical investigation into the gravitation and convergence of industry return rates in OECD countries," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(4), pages 465-502.
- Baumol, William J, 1982. "Contestable Markets: An Uprising in the Theory of Industry Structure," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Persefoni Tsaliki & Lefteris Tsoulfidis, 1998. "Alternative Theories of Competition: evidence from Greek manufacturing," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(2), pages 187-204.
- Mill, John Stuart, 1848. "Principles of Political Economy (I): Production," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, volume 1, number mill1848-1.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcd:mcddps:2011_02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Theodore Panagiotidis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.