Disability and Labour Force Participation in Ireland 1995-2000
This paper aims to analyse the effect of disability on participation in the labour force, using the Irish component of the European Community Household Panel Survey 1995-2000. A range of panel models are considered, but to allow for any unobserved influences or state dependence in labour force participation, our preferred model is a dynamic panel model. We show how the estimates of current disability are changed once we control for the effect of past disability and previous participation. We compare base estimates of disability with those controlling for unobserved heterogeneity and past participation. The results suggest that the base effect of disability is overestimated by between 40-60 per cent for men and by 5-10 per cent for women.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Maynooth, Co. Kildare|
Web page: http://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/economics-finance-and-accounting
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- B. Wolfe & S. C. Hill, . "The effect of health on the work effort of low-income single mothers," Institute for Research on Poverty Discussion Papers 979-92, University of Wisconsin Institute for Research on Poverty.
- Sickles, Robin C & Taubman, Paul, 1986.
"An Analysis of the Health and Retirement Status of the Elderly,"
Econometric Society, vol. 54(6), pages 1339-56, November.
- Robin C. Sickles & Paul J. Taubman, 1984. "An Analysis of the Health and Retirement Status of the Elderly," NBER Working Papers 1459, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chirikos, Thomas N & Nestel, Gilbert, 1985. "Further Evidence on the Economic Effects of Poor Health," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(1), pages 61-69, February.
- Kidd, Michael P. & Sloane, Peter J. & Ferko, Ivan, 2000.
"Disability and the labour market: an analysis of British males,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 961-981, November.
- Michael P. Kidd & Peter J. Sloane & Ivan Ferko, 1998. "Disability and the Labour Market: an analysis of British males," Working Papers 98-10, Department of Economics, University of Aberdeen.
- Madden, D. & Walker, I., 1999.
"Labour Supply, Health and Caring: Evidence from the UK,"
99/28, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- David (David Patrick) Madden & Ian Walker, 1999. "Labour supply, health and caring : evidence from the UK," Working Papers 199928, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Bound, John & Schoenbaum, Michael & Stinebrickner, Todd R. & Waidmann, Timothy, 1999.
"The dynamic effects of health on the labor force transitions of older workers,"
Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 179-202, June.
- John Bound & Michael Schoenbaum & Todd R. Stinebrickner & Timothy Waidmann, 1998. "The Dynamic Effects of Health on the Labor Force Transitions of Older Workers," NBER Working Papers 6777, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brent Kreider, 1999.
"Latent Work Disability and Reporting Bias,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 34(4), pages 734-769.
- Barbara L. Wolfe & Steven C. Hill, 1995. "The Effect of Health on the Work Effort of Single Mothers," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 30(1), pages 42-62.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:may:mayecw:n1431004. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.