Pharmaceuticals and the Elderly: A Comparative Analysis
This paper compares and contrasts outpatient pharmaceutical policies for the elderly in seven OECD nations: Australia, Canada, Germany, Japan, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Each country is facing an increasing financial burden due to rapidly growing numbers of elderly citizens, in number and as a percentage of population, and rising drug costs. As a result, they are struggling to balance varying levels of commitment to providing drugs for the elderly with the need to contain costs. Although each country's healthcare system is unique, the methods that each country is using to control rising pharmaceutical costs are similar. Many countries are gravitating toward the use of last-dollar rather than first-dollar coverage. All provide inpatient pharmaceutical coverage.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 426 Eggers Hall, Syracuse, New York USA 13244-1020|
Phone: (315) 443-3114
Fax: (315) 443-1081
Web page: http://www.maxwell.syr.edu/cpr.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- von der Schulenburg, J. -Matthias Graf, 1997. "Management of cost and utilization of pharmaceuticals in Germany," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(Supplemen), pages S45-S53, September.
- Lillard, L.A. & Rogowski, J. & Kington, R., 1999.
"Insurance Coverage for Prescription Drugs: Effects on Use and Expenditures in the Medicare Population,"
99-09, RAND - Labor and Population Program.
- Lee A. Lillard & Jeannette Rogowski & Raynard Kington, 1999. "Insurance Coverage for Prescription Drugs: Effects on Use and Expenditures in the Medicare Population," Working Papers 99-09, RAND Corporation.
- Wilton, Paula & Smith, Richard D., 1998. "Primary care reform: a three country comparison of `budget holding'," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 149-166, May.
- Victor R. Fuchs, 1998. "Health Care for the Elderly: How Much? Who Will Pay for It?," NBER Working Papers 6755, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Donald Willison & Paul Grootendorst & Jeremiah Hurley, 1998. "Variance in Pharmacare Coverage Across Canada," Centre for Health Economics and Policy Analysis Working Paper Series 1998-08, Centre for Health Economics and Policy Analysis (CHEPA), McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:max:cprwps:17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kelly Bogart)or (Katrina Wingle)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.