Seemingly Unrelated Regressions with Spatial Error Components
This paper considers various estimators using panel data seemingly unrelated regressions (SUR) with spatial error correlation. The true data generating process is assumed to be SUR with spatial error of the autoregressive or moving average type. Moreover, the remainder term of the spatial process is assumed to follow an error component structure. Both maximum likelihood and generalized moments (GM) methods of estimation are used. Using Monte Carlo experiments, we check the performance of these estimators and their forecasts under misspecification of the spatial error process, various spatial weight matrices, and heterogeneous versus homogeneous panel data models.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 426 Eggers Hall, Syracuse, New York USA 13244-1020|
Phone: (315) 443-3114
Fax: (315) 443-1081
Web page: http://www.maxwell.syr.edu/cpr.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pesaran, M.H. & Smith, R., 1992.
"Estimating Long-Run Relationships From Dynamic Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9215, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Smith, Ron, 1995. "Estimating long-run relationships from dynamic heterogeneous panels," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 79-113, July.
- Srivastava, V. K. & Dwivedi, T. D., 1979. "Estimation of seemingly unrelated regression equations : A brief survey," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 15-32, April.
- Beierlein, James G & Dunn, James W & McConnon, James C, Jr, 1981. "The Demand for Electricity and Natural Gas in the Northeastern United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(3), pages 403-08, August.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2007.
"A Monte Carlo Study for Pure and Pretest Estimators of a Panel Data Model with Spatially Autocorrelated Disturbances,"
Annals of Economics and Statistics,
GENES, issue 87-88, pages 11-38.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2007. "A Monte Carlo Study for Pure and Pretest Estimators of a Panel Data Model with Spatially Autocorrelated Disturbances," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 98, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Kapoor, Mudit & Kelejian, Harry H. & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2007. "Panel data models with spatially correlated error components," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 97-130, September.
- Sickles, Robin C., 1985. "A nonlinear multivariate error components analysis of technology and specific factor productivity growth with an application to the U.S. Airlines," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 61-78, January.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Rich, Daniel P., 2003.
"Skill-Biased Technical Change in U.S. Manufacturing: A General Index Approach,"
IZA Discussion Papers
841, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Rich, Daniel P., 2005. "Skill-biased technical change in US manufacturing: a general index approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 549-570, June.
- Kinal, Terrence & Lahiri, Kajal, 1990. "A computational algorithm for multiple equation models with panel data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 143-146, October.
- Harry H. Kelejian & Ingmar R. Prucha, 1995.
"A Generalized Moments Estimator for the Autoregressive Parameter in a Spatial Model,"
Electronic Working Papers
95-001, University of Maryland, Department of Economics, revised Mar 1997.
- Kelejian, Harry H & Prucha, Ingmar R, 1999. "A Generalized Moments Estimator for the Autoregressive Parameter in a Spatial Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(2), pages 509-33, May.
- Howrey, E. Philip & Varian, Hal R., 1984. "Estimating the distributional impact of time-of-day pricing of electricity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1-2), pages 65-82.
- Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2001.
"Distance, Trade and FDI: A Hausman-Taylor SUR Approach,"
WIFO Working Papers
- Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2004. "Distance, trade and FDI: a Hausman-Taylor SUR approach," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(2), pages 227-246.
- Brown, Philip & Kleidon, Allan W. & Marsh, Terry A., 1983. "New evidence on the nature of size-related anomalies in stock prices," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 33-56, June.
- Baltagi, Badi H & Griffin, James M & Rich, Daniel P, 1995. "Airline Deregulation: The Cost Pieces of the Puzzle," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 36(1), pages 245-60, February.
- Wan, Guang H & Griffiths, William E & Anderson, Jock R, 1992. "Using Panel Data to Estimate Risk Effects in Seemingly Unrelated Production Functions," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 35-49.
- Avery, Robert B, 1977. "Error Components and Seemingly Unrelated Regressions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(1), pages 199-209, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:max:cprwps:125. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kelly Bogart)or (Katrina Wingle)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.