Seemingly Unrelated Regressions with Spatial Error Components
This paper considers various estimators using panel data seemingly unrelated regressions (SUR) with spatial error correlation. The true data generating process is assumed to be SUR with spatial error of the autoregressive or moving average type. Moreover, the remainder term of the spatial process is assumed to follow an error component structure. Both maximum likelihood and generalized moments (GM) methods of estimation are used. Using Monte Carlo experiments, we check the performance of these estimators and their forecasts under misspecification of the spatial error process, various spatial weight matrices, and heterogeneous versus homogeneous panel data models.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (315) 443-3114
Fax: (315) 443-1081
Web page: http://www.maxwell.syr.edu/cpr.aspxEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Srivastava, V. K. & Dwivedi, T. D., 1979. "Estimation of seemingly unrelated regression equations : A brief survey," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 15-32, April.
- Brown, Philip & Kleidon, Allan W. & Marsh, Terry A., 1983. "New evidence on the nature of size-related anomalies in stock prices," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 33-56, June.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Smith, Ron, 1995.
"Estimating long-run relationships from dynamic heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 79-113, July.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Smith, R., 1992. "Estimating Long-Run Relationships From Dynamic Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9215, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Rich, Daniel P., 2005.
"Skill-biased technical change in US manufacturing: a general index approach,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 549-570, June.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Rich, Daniel P., 2003. "Skill-Biased Technical Change in U.S. Manufacturing: A General Index Approach," IZA Discussion Papers 841, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Badi H. Baltagi & Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2007.
"A Monte Carlo Study for Pure and Pretest Estimators of a Panel Data Model with Spatially Autocorrelated Disturbances,"
Center for Policy Research Working Papers
98, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Badi H. BALTAGI & Peter EGGER & Michael PFAFFERMAYR, 2007. "A Monte Carlo Study for Pure and Pretest Estimators of a Panel Data Model with Spatially Autocorrelated Disturbances," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 87-88, pages 11-38.
- Kinal, Terrence & Lahiri, Kajal, 1990. "A computational algorithm for multiple equation models with panel data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 143-146, October.
- Baltagi, Badi H & Griffin, James M & Rich, Daniel P, 1995. "Airline Deregulation: The Cost Pieces of the Puzzle," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 36(1), pages 245-60, February.
- Howrey, E. Philip & Varian, Hal R., 1984. "Estimating the distributional impact of time-of-day pricing of electricity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1-2), pages 65-82.
- Avery, Robert B, 1977. "Error Components and Seemingly Unrelated Regressions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(1), pages 199-209, January.
- Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2004.
"Distance, trade and FDI: a Hausman-Taylor SUR approach,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(2), pages 227-246.
- Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2001. "Distance, Trade and FDI: A Hausman-Taylor SUR Approach," WIFO Working Papers 164, WIFO.
- Beierlein, James G & Dunn, James W & McConnon, James C, Jr, 1981. "The Demand for Electricity and Natural Gas in the Northeastern United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(3), pages 403-08, August.
- Sickles, Robin C., 1985. "A nonlinear multivariate error components analysis of technology and specific factor productivity growth with an application to the U.S. Airlines," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 61-78, January.
- Kapoor, Mudit & Kelejian, Harry H. & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2007. "Panel data models with spatially correlated error components," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 97-130, September.
- Kelejian, Harry H & Prucha, Ingmar R, 1999. "A Generalized Moments Estimator for the Autoregressive Parameter in a Spatial Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(2), pages 509-33, May.
- Wan, Guang H & Griffiths, William E & Anderson, Jock R, 1992. "Using Panel Data to Estimate Risk Effects in Seemingly Unrelated Production Functions," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 35-49.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:max:cprwps:125. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kelly Bogart)or (Katrina Wingle)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.