Identifying Clusters within R&D Intensive Industries Using Local Spatial Methods
More recently, there has been a renewed interest in cluster policies for supporting industrial and regional development. By virtue of the linkage between growth and innovation, R&D intensive industries play a crucial role in cluster development strategies. Empirical cluster research has to contribute to the understanding the process of cluster formation. Some experiences with the use of local spatial methods like local Moran’s Ii and Getis-Ord Gi tests in pattern recognition are already available. However, up to now the utilisation of spatial scan techniques in detecting economic clusters is largely ignored (Kang, 2010). In this paper, the performance of the above-mentioned local spatial methods in identifying German R&D clusters is studied. Differences in cluster detection across the tests are traced. In particular, the contribution of Kulldorff’s spatial scan test in detecting industry clusters is critically assessed.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Universitätsstraße 25, 35037 Marburg|
Web page: http://www.uni-marburg.de/fb02/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Feldman, Maryann P. & Audretsch, David B., 1999.
"Innovation in cities:: Science-based diversity, specialization and localized competition,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 409-429, February.
- Audretsch, David B & Feldman, Maryann P, 1998. "Innovation in Cities: Science-Based Diversity, Specialization and Localized Competition," CEPR Discussion Papers 1980, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lafourcade, Miren & Mion, Giordano, 2007. "Concentration, agglomeration and the size of plants," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 46-68, January.
- LAFOURCADE, Miren & MION, Giordano, "undated". "Concentration, agglomeration and the size of plants," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1963, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Miren Lafourcade & Giordano Mion, 2005. "Concentration, agglomeration and the size of plants," PSE Working Papers halshs-00590572, HAL.
- Miren Lafourcade & Giordano Mion, 2007. "Concentration, Agglomeration and the Size of Plants," Post-Print halshs-00754253, HAL.
- Miren Lafourcade & Giordano Mion, 2007. "Concentration, agglomeration and the size of plants," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 42666, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Rebecca Henderson & Adam B. Jaffe & Manuel Trajtenberg, 1998. "Universities As A Source Of Commercial Technology: A Detailed Analysis Of University Patenting, 1965-1988," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(1), pages 119-127, February.
- Rebecca Henderson & Adam Jaffe & Manuel Trajtenberg, 1995. "Universities as a Source of Commercial Technology: A Detailed Analysis of University Patenting 1965-1988," NBER Working Papers 5068, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Henderson, R. & Jaffe, A.B.: Tratenberg, M., 1995. "Universities as a Source of Commercial Technology: A Detailed Analysis of University Patenting 1965-1988," Papers 09-95, Tel Aviv.
- Luisito BERTINELLI & Rosella NICOLINI, 2002. "Investment decision and the spatial dimension : Evidence from firm level data," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2002007, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- LE GALLO, Julie & ERTUR, Cem, 2000. "Exploratory spatial data analysis of the distribution of regional per capita GDP in Europe, 1980-1995," LATEC - Document de travail - Economie (1991-2003) 2000-09, LATEC, Laboratoire d'Analyse et des Techniques EConomiques, CNRS UMR 5118, Université de Bourgogne.
- Julie Le Gallo & Cem Ertur, 2000. "Exploratory spatial data analysis of the distribution of regional per capita GDP in Europe, 1980-1995," Working Papers hal-01527222, HAL.
- Glaeser, Edward L & Hedi D. Kallal & Jose A. Scheinkman & Andrei Shleifer, 1992. "Growth in Cities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(6), pages 1126-1152, December.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Hedi D. Kallal & Jose A. Scheinkman & Andrei Shleifer, 1991. "Growth in Cities," NBER Working Papers 3787, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Glaeser, Edward Ludwig & Kallal, Hedi D. & Scheinkman, Jose A. & Shleifer, Andrei, 1992. "Growth in Cities," Scholarly Articles 3451309, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Bertinelli, Luisito & Nicolini, Rosella, 2005. "R&D Investments and the Spatial Dimension: Evidence from Firm Level Data," The Review of Regional Studies, Southern Regional Science Association, vol. 35(2), pages 206-230.
- Frank Neffke & Martin Svensson Henning & Ron Boschma & Karl-Johan Lundquist & Lars-Olof Olander, 2008. "Who Needs Agglomeration? Varying Agglomeration Externalities and the Industry Life Cycle," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 0808, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Apr 2008.
- Edward Feser & Stuart Sweeney & Henry Renski, 2005. "A Descriptive Analysis of Discrete U.S. Industrial Complexes," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(2), pages 395-419. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)