Asymmetric capital-tax competition, unemployment and losses from capital market integration
In a multi-country general equilibrium economy with mobile capital and rigid-wage unemployment, countries may differ in capital endowments, production technologies and rigid wages. Governments tax capital at the source to maximize national welfare. They account for tax base responses to their tax and take as given the world-market interest rate. We specify conditions under which - in contrast to free trade with undistorted labor markets - welfare declines and unemployment increases in some countries (i) when moving from autarky to trade without taxation and/or (ii) when moving from trade without taxation to tax competition.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Universitätsstraße 25, 35037 Marburg|
Web page: http://www.uni-marburg.de/fb02/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- SATO, Yasuhiro & THISSE, Jacques-François, .
"Competing for capital when labor is heterogeneous,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1992, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Yasuhiro Sato & Jacques-Francois Thisse, 2006. "Competing for capital when labor is heterogeneous," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-456, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Sato, Yasuhiro & Thisse, Jacques-François, 2007. "Competing for Capital When Labour is Heterogeneous," CEPR Discussion Papers 6186, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- SATO, Yasuhiro & THISSE, Jacques-François, 2005. "Competing for capital when labor is heterogeneous," CORE Discussion Papers 2005061, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Yasuhiro, SATO & Jacques-FranÃ§ois, THISSE, 2005. "Competing for capital when labor is heterogeneous," Discussion Papers (ECON - Département des Sciences Economiques) 2005045, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Jacques-François Thisse & Yasuhiro Sato, 2007. "Competing for Capital when Labor is Heterogeneous," Post-Print halshs-00754191, HAL.
- Bergstrom, Villy & Panas, Epaminondas E, 1992. "How Robust Is the Capital-Skill Complementarity Hypothesis?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(3), pages 540-46, August.
- Fuest, Clemens & Huber, Bernd, 1999.
"Tax Coordination and Unemployment,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
20298, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Wolfgang Eggert & Laszlo Goerke, 2003.
"Fiscal Policy, Economic Integration and Unemployment,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1102, CESifo Group Munich.
- Wolfgang Eggert & Laszlo Goerke, . "Fiscal Policy, Economic Integration and Unemployment," EPRU Working Paper Series 02-05, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Eggert, Wolfgang & Goerke, Laszlo, 2003. "Fiscal Policy, Economic Integration and Unemployment," IZA Discussion Papers 937, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Aloi, Marta & Leite-Monteiro, Manuel & Lloyd-Braga, Teresa, 2009.
"Unionized labor markets and globalized capital markets,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 149-153, June.
- Marta Aloi & Manuel Leite-Monteiro & Teresa Lloyd-Braga, . "Unionized Labor Markets and Globalized Capital Markets," Discussion Papers 08/10, University of Nottingham, Centre for Finance, Credit and Macroeconomics (CFCM).
- Bucovetsky, S., 1991. "Asymmetric tax competition," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 167-181, September.
- Manuel Leite-Monteiro & Maurice Marchand & Pierre Pestieau, 2003.
"Employment Subsidy with Capital Mobility,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 5(2), pages 327-344, 04.
- Aronsson, Thomas & Wehke, Sven, 2006.
"Public Goods, Unemployment and Policy Coordination,"
Umeå Economic Studies
700, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Aronsson, Thomas & Wehke, Sven, 2008. "Public goods, unemployment and policy coordination," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 285-298, May.
- Eaton, Jonathan & Panagariya, Arvind, 1979. "Gains from trade under variable returns to scale, commodity taxation, tariffs and factor market distortions," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 481-501, November.
- Ogawa, Hikaru & Sato, Yasuhiro & Tamai, Toshiki, 2006. "A note on unemployment and capital tax competition," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 350-356, September.
- Wilson, John Douglas, 1991.
"Tax competition with interregional differences in factor endowments,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 423-451, November.
- Wilson, J.D., 1990. "Tax Competition With Interregional Differences In Factor Endowments," Working Papers 4, John Deutsch Institute for the Study of Economic Policy.
- Kessler, Anke S. & Lulfesmann, Christoph & Myers, Gordon M., 2003. "Economic versus political symmetry and the welfare concern with market integration and tax competition," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(5-6), pages 847-865, May.
- Wilson, John D., 1986. "A theory of interregional tax competition," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 296-315, May.
- Lockwood, Ben & Makris, Miltiadis, 2004.
"Tax Incidence, Majority Voting And Capital Market Integration,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
712, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Lockwood, Ben & Makris, Miltiadis, 2006. "Tax incidence, majority voting and capital market integration," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(6-7), pages 1007-1025, August.
- Peralta, Susana & van Ypersele, Tanguy, 2005. "Factor endowments and welfare levels in an asymmetric tax competition game," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 258-274, March.
- Zodrow, George R. & Mieszkowski, Peter, 1986. "Pigou, Tiebout, property taxation, and the underprovision of local public goods," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 356-370, May.
- repec:lsu:lsuwpp:2003-12 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1990. "Unemployment: A Survey," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(401), pages 391-439, June.
- DePeter James A. & Myers Gordon M., 1994. "Strategic Capital Tax Competition: A Pecuniary Externality and a Corrective Device," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 66-78, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mar:magkse:200940. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bernd Hayo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.