Simultaneous determination of market value and risk premium in the valuation of firms
Valuing a firm using the discounted cash flow method (DCF) requires the joint determination of the market value of its equity (MVE) together with the equity risk premium (ERP) the firm should earn, since the latter is part of the discount rate used in the calculation of the MVE. This paper presents a theoretical derivation of how MVE and ERP can be calculated simultaneously under fairly general conditions. Besides firm data on free cash flow to equity the only external data needed are the risk-free rate of interest and a parameter indicating the required market risk premium per return volatility.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manchester M13 9PL|
Phone: (0)161 275 4868
Fax: (0)161 275 4812
Web page: http://www.socialsciences.manchester.ac.uk/subjects/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stefan Lutz & Daniel Kleinfeldt, 2010.
"Risk as determinant of income and crossborder pricing of multinational enterprises,"
The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series
1018, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Stefan Lutz & Daniel Kleinfeldt, 2013. "Risk as Determinant of Income and Cross-border Pricing of Multinational Enterprises," Studies in Microeconomics, SAGE Publishing, vol. 1(2), pages 185-212, December.
- Stefan Lutz & Daniel Kleinfeldt, 2010. "Risk as determinant of income and cross-border pricing of multi-national enterprises," ICER Working Papers 19-2010, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1977. "Risk-adjusted discount rates and capital budgeting under uncertainty," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 3-24, August.
- R. Cesari, 2003. "Option Pricing and Asset Valuation," Working Papers 467, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Eugene F. Fama & Kenneth R. French, 2004. "The Capital Asset Pricing Model: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 18(3), pages 25-46, Summer.
- Stefan Lutz, 2012.
"Risk premia in multi-national enterprises,"
ICER Working Papers
08-2012, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Lutz, Stefan, 2013. "Risk premia in multi-national enterprises," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 293-305.
- André F. Perold, 2004. "The Capital Asset Pricing Model," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 18(3), pages 3-24, Summer.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:man:sespap:1120. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marianne Sensier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.