Simultaneous determination of market value and risk premium in the valuation of firms
Valuing a firm using the discounted cash flow method (DCF) requires the joint determination of the market value of its equity (MVE) together with the equity risk premium (ERP) the firm should earn, since the latter is part of the discount rate used in the calculation of the MVE. This paper presents a theoretical derivation of how MVE and ERP can be calculated simultaneously under fairly general conditions. Besides firm data on free cash flow to equity the only external data needed are the risk-free rate of interest and a parameter indicating the required market risk premium per return volatility.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:||Oct 2012|
|Note:||The views expressed in this paper are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the institutions he is affiliated with. Any information presented is of a general nature and does not address individual circumstances of any particular person or entity. The author would like to thank Nils Holinski for helpful comments and suggestions as well as Nitish Maini and Keshav Goel for diligent research assistance; the usual disclaimer applies. Financial support by the International Centre for Economic Research (ICER), Torino, Italy, and by the Spanish Ministry of Education and Science (Grant No. ECO2008-06191) is gratefully acknowledged.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: +34 913942604|
Web page: https://www.ucm.es/icae
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales. Pabellón prefabricado, 1ª Planta, ala norte. Campus de Somosaguas, 28223 - POZUELO DE ALARCÓN (MADRID)|
Web: https://www.ucm.es/fundamentos-analisis-economico2/documentos-de-trabajo-del-icae Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lutz, Stefan, 2013.
"Risk premia in multi-national enterprises,"
The North American Journal of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 293-305.
- Stefan Lutz, 2012. "Risk premia in multi-national enterprises," ICER Working Papers 08-2012, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Stefan Lutz, 2012. "Risk premia in multi-national enterprises," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 1216, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Stefan Lutz & Daniel Kleinfeldt, 2013. "Risk as Determinant of Income and Cross-border Pricing of Multinational Enterprises," Studies in Microeconomics, , vol. 1(2), pages 185-212, December.
- Stefan Lutz & Daniel Kleinfeldt, 2010. "Risk as determinant of income and crossborder pricing of multinational enterprises," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 1018, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Stefan Lutz & Daniel Kleinfeldt, 2010. "Risk as determinant of income and cross-border pricing of multi-national enterprises," ICER Working Papers 19-2010, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- R. Cesari, 2003. "Option Pricing and Asset Valuation," Working Papers 467, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1977. "Risk-adjusted discount rates and capital budgeting under uncertainty," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 3-24, August.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- André F. Perold, 2004. "The Capital Asset Pricing Model," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 18(3), pages 3-24, Summer.
- Eugene F. Fama & Kenneth R. French, 2004. "The Capital Asset Pricing Model: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 18(3), pages 25-46, Summer. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)