Transient and Chronic Rural Household Poverty: Evidence from Kenya
Most of the earlier studies of poverty in Kenya have basically been static in nature. They have attempted to measure household welfare -- incidence, gap and severity -- at a point in time. Such studies are undeniably vital. However, they do not necessarily provide a good indication of welfare stability over time. This study makes an empirical contribution to poverty analysis in Kenya by incorporating poverty dynamics dimension. We first examine poverty dynamics using economic transition matrices. Next, we decompose total poverty into transient and chronic poverty components using transient poverty as censored fluctuation and equally-distributed equivalent poverty gaps approaches for comparison. The latter approach introduces inequality into poverty decomposition. Finally, we establish important correlates of poverty components using quantile-censored and non-parametric regressions. Given the high rural household poverty incidences and the country's limited resources, this study has critical implications for economic policy in Kenya.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 1-418-656-2131, ext. 2697
Web page: http://www.pep-net.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arabmazar, Abbas & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "An Investigation of the Robustness of the Tobit Estimator to Non-Normality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1055-63, July.
- Mwangi S. Kimenyi, 2005. "Efficiency and Efficacy of Kenya's Constituency Development Fund: Theory and Evidence," Working papers 2005-42, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
- Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1986. "A methodology for measuring food poverty applied to Kenya," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 59-74, November.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1986. "Food Poverty Profile Applied to Kenyan Smallholders," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 35(1), pages 115-41, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lvl:pmmacr:2007-20. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Johanne Perron)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.