The Global Financial Crisis and a New Capitalism?
The 2008 global financial crisis was the consequence of the process (1) of financialization, or the creation of massive fictitious financial wealth, that began in the 1980s; and (2) the hegemony of a reactionary ideology-namely, neoliberalism-based on self-regulated and efficient markets. Although laissez-faire capitalism is intrinsically unstable, the lessons of the 1929 stock market crash of 1929 and the Great Depression of the 1930s were transformed into theories and institutions or regulations that led to the "30 glorious years of capitalism" (1948–77) and that could have helped avoid a financial crisis as profound as the present one. But it did not, because a coalition of rentiers and "financists" achieved hegemony and, while deregulating the existing financial operations, refused to regulate the financial innovations that made these markets even riskier. Neoclassical economics played the role of a meta-ideology as it legitimized, mathematically and "scientifically," neoliberal ideology and deregulation. From this crisis a new democratic capitalist system will emerge, though its character is difficult to predict. It will not be financialized, but the glory years' tendencies toward a global and knowledge-based capitalism in which professionals have more say than rentier capitalists, as well as the tendency to improve democracy by making it more social and participative, will be resumed.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reinhart, Carmen, 2009.
"The Second Great Contraction,"
21485, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 8973.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "Varieties of Crises and Their Dates," Introductory Chapters, in: This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly Princeton University Press.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 2006.
"The Macroeconomist as Scientist and Engineer,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
2121, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 2006. "The Macroeconomist as Scientist and Engineer," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 20(4), pages 29-46, Fall.
- N. G. Mankiw., 2009. "The Macroeconomist as Scientist and Engineer," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 5.
- Reinhart, Karmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2009. ""This time is different": panorama of eight centuries of financial crises," Economic Policy, Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, vol. 1, pages 77-114, March.
- Gala, Paulo & Pereira, Luiz C. Bresser, 2008.
"Why foreign savings fail to cause growth,"
Textos para discussão
159, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Thomas Piketty & Emmanuel Saez, 2003. "Income Inequality in the United States, 1913–1998," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 118(1), pages 1-41.
- George A. Akerlof, 2009. "How Human Psychology Drives the Economy and Why It Matters," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1175-1175.
- Pereira, Luiz C. Bresser & Nakano, Yoshiaki, 2002. "Economic growth with foreign saving?," Textos para discussão 118, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- José Gabriel Palma, 2009. "The revenge of the market on the rentiers," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(4), pages 829-869, July.
- Davidson, Paul, 1972. "Money and the Real World," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(325), pages 101-115, March.
- Bresser Pereira, Luiz Carlos, 1993. "Economic reforms and cycles of state intervention," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(8), pages 1337-1353, August.
- Bresser Pereira,Luiz Carlos, 2010.
"Globalization and Competition,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521144537, December.
- Reinhart, Carmen M. & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2009.
"Banking Crises: An Equal Opportunity Menace,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7131, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pereira, Luiz C. Bresser, 2008. "Crises financeira nos anos 1990 e poupança externa," Textos para discussão 172, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lev:wrkpap:wp_592. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie-Celeste Edwards)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.