Why economics should be a modest and reasonable science
Unlike the methodological sciences such as mathematics and decision theory, which use the hypothetical-deductive method and may be fully expressed in complex mathematical models because their only truth criterion is logical consistency, the substantive sciences have as their truth criterion the correspondence to reality, adopt an empirical-deductive method, and are supposed to generalize from and often unreliable regularities and tendencies. Given this assumption, it is very difficult for economists to predict economic behavior, particularly major financial crises.
|Date of creation:||07 Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 55 (011) 3799-3350
Fax: 55 (011) 3799-3357
Web page: http://eesp.fgv.br
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A.L. Keith Acheson, 2010.
Carleton Economic Papers
10-01, Carleton University, Department of Economics.
- Bresser-Pereira, Luiz Carlos (Luiz Carlos Bresser), 2011. "Structuralist macroeconomics and new developmentalism," Textos para discussão 298, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521415019 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521425230 is not listed on IDEAS
- Robert Delorme, 2010. "Deep Complexity and the Social Sciences," Books, Edward Elgar, number 13888, March.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521196352 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521144537 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fgv:eesptd:306. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Núcleo de Computação da EPGE)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.