A note on the links between manufacturing, goods and services exports
The paper deals with the links between goods and services exports. First it explains the reasons why services exports are presumably connected with manufacturing exports and altogether to goods exports. The paper scruti-nises the various headings of the services account of the BOP. It points out that firms, whether manufacturing or services-producing tend to exports both goods and services. It then turns to the international division of labour and fragmentation process. Second the paper proposes statistical analyses based on time series of goods and services exports. The first one concerns annual one-digit headings for 13 developed countries. The last one pertains to quarterly data from 1994 to 2011 for 24 developed countries. Not surprisingly, the results tend to ascertain the complementa-rities of the two types of exports, with a correlation of around 60 %. This exploratory study however calls for future improvements and reconsidera-tions that could go beyond basic time series analysis.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 61, Avenue de la Forêt Noire, F-67085 Strasbourg Cedex|
Phone: (33) 3 90 41 41 30
Fax: (33) 3 90 41 40 50
Web page: http://ifs.unistra.fr/large
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dinu Vasile, 2008. "The logistics of merchandise," The AMFITEATRU ECONOMIC journal, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 10(24), pages 5-6, June.
- Guillaume Gaulier & Emmanuel Milet & Daniel Mirza, 2010. "Les firmes françaises dans le commerce international de services," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 435(1), pages 125-147.
- Carolina Lennon, 2009.
"Trade in Services and Trade in Goods: Differences and Complementarities,"
wiiw Working Papers
53, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Carolina Lennon, 2008. "Trade in services and trade in goods: differences and complementarities," PSE Working Papers halshs-00586223, HAL.
- Joseph F. Francois & Bernard Hoekman, 2009.
"Services Trade and Policy,"
Economics working papers
2009-03, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Gaulier, Guillaume & Milet, Emmanuel & Mirza, Daniel, 2010.
"Les firmes françaises dans le commerce de services,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Docweb)
- Benjamin Nefussi & Cyrille Schwellnus, 2007.
"Does FDI in Manufacturing Cause FDI in Business Services? Evidence from French Firm-Level Data,"
2007-21, CEPII research center.
- Benjamin Nefussi & Cyrille Schwellnus, 2010. "Does FDI in manufacturing cause FDI in business services? Evidence from French firm-level data," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 43(1), pages 180-203, February.
- Matthieu Crozet & Emmanuel Milet & Daniel Mirza, 2011.
"Le club utra select des firmes exportatrices de services,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Matthieu Crozet & Daniel Mirza & Emmanuel Milet, 2010. "Le club "ultra-select" des firmes exportatrices de services," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00749033, HAL.
- Damien Broussolle, 2012. "Le commerce des services, un commerce en trompe-l'œil ?. Une analyse fondée sur le point de vue de Hill," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 63(6), pages 1145-1177.
- Valentin Cojanu, 2007. "Competitiveness of trade in services: some problems of measurement," The AMFITEATRU ECONOMIC journal, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 9(22), pages 147-152, June.
- Deardorff, A.V., 2000.
"International Provision of Trade Services, Trade, and Fragmentation,"
463, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Deardorff, Alan V, 2001. "International Provision of Trade Services, Trade, and Fragmentation," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 233-48, May.
- Deardorff, Alan V., 2001. "International provision of trade services, trade, and fragmentation," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2548, The World Bank.
- Carolina Lennon, 2009.
"Trade in Services: Cross-Border Trade vs. Commercial Presence. Evidence of Complementarity,"
wiiw Working Papers
59, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Carolina Lennon, 2008. "Trade in services: Cross-border trade vs commercial presence. Evidence of complementarity," PSE Working Papers halshs-00586217, HAL.
- Fukunari Kimura & Hyun-Hoon Lee, 2006. "The Gravity Equation in International Trade in Services," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 142(1), pages 92-121, April.
- Clement Yuk Pang Wong & Jinhui Wu & Anming Zhang, 2006. "A Model of Trade Liberalization in Services," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(1), pages 148-168, 02.
- Janet Ceglowski, 2006. "Does Gravity Matter in a Service Economy?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 142(2), pages 307-329, July.
- Matthieu Crozet & Daniel Mirza & Emmanuel Millet, 2010. "The Ultra-Select Club of Service Export Firms," La Lettre du CEPII, CEPII research center, issue 302.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lar:wpaper:2012-09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christophe J. Godlewski)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.