Trade in services: Cross-border trade vs commercial presence. Evidence of complementarity
The purpose of this paper is to empirically investigate the relationship between cross border trade in services (Mode 1) and commercial presence in services (Mode 3). I postulate that these two modes of supply facilitate each other, and that, in contrast to the manufacturing sector, this complementarity might occur even at the level of horizontal investment. For the empirical analysis I make use of bilateral data on US majority-owned foreign affiliate operations (MOFAs). The same exercise is carried for the case of goods sectors. After using two different estimating techniques, results confirm the intuition, not only Mode1 and Mode 3 in services are complements but also the complementarity relationship is stronger than that found in the case of goods. Moreover, the complementarity between this two modes of supply, for the case of services, is also found at the level of horizontal FDI.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2008|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00586217|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blonigen, Bruce A., 2001.
"In search of substitution between foreign production and exports,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 81-104, February.
- Bruce A. Blonigen, 1999. "In Search of Substitution Between Foreign Production and Exports," NBER Working Papers 7154, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carmen Fillat-Castejon & Joseph Francis Francois & Julia Maria Woerz, 8/09.
"Cross-Border Trade and FDI in Services,"
Economics working papers
2008-12, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Fillat Castejón, Carmen & Francois, Joseph & Woerz, Julia, 2008. "Cross-Border Trade and FDI in Services," CEPR Discussion Papers 7074, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Carmen Fillat-Castejón & Joseph F. Francois & Julia Wörz, 2009. "Cross-Border Trade and FDI in Services," wiiw Working Papers 50, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Donghui Li & Fariborz Moshirian & Ah-Boon Sim, 2003. "The Determinants of Intra-Industry Trade in Insurance Services," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 70(2), pages 269-287.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2001.
"Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle,"
NBER Working Papers
8079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2003. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 170-192, March.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2000. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 485, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Amiti, Mary & Wakelin, Katharine, 2002.
"Investment Liberalization and International Trade,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3492, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lipsey, Robert E & Weiss, Merle Yahr, 1981. "Foreign Production and Exports in Manufacturing Industries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(4), pages 488-94, November.
- Caroline Freund & Diana Weinhold, 2002. "The Internet and International Trade in Services," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(2), pages 236-240, May.
- Anne-Célia Disdier & Keith Head, 2008.
"The puzzling persistence of the distance effect on bilateral trade,"
- Anne-Célia Disdier & Keith Head, 2008. "The Puzzling Persistence of the Distance Effect on Bilateral Trade," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 90(1), pages 37-48, February.
- Anne-Célia Disdier & Keith Head, 2004. "The Puzzling Persistence of the Distance Effect on Bilateral Trade," Development Working Papers 186, Centro Studi Luca d'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Clausing, Kimberly A, 2000. "Does Multinational Activity Displace Trade?," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 38(2), pages 190-205, April.
- Keith Head & John Ries, 2004. "Exporting and FDI as Alternative Strategies," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(3), pages 409-423, Autumn.
- S. Lael Brainard, 1993. "A Simple Theory of Multinational Corporations and Trade with a Trade-Off Between Proximity and Concentration," NBER Working Papers 4269, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rolf J. Langhammer, 2005.
"The EU Offer of Service Trade Liberalization in the Doha Round: Evidence of a Not-Yet-Perfect Customs Union,"
Journal of Common Market Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(2), pages 311-325, 06.
- Langhammer, Rolf J., 2005. "The EU offer of service trade liberalization in the Doha Round: evidence of a not-yet-perfect customs union," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 3509, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman & Adam Szeidl, 2003.
"Optimal Integration Strategies for the Multinational Firm,"
NBER Working Papers
10189, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, Gene M. & Helpman, Elhanan & Szeidl, Adam, 2006. "Optimal integration strategies for the multinational firm," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 216-238, September.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman & Adam Szeidl, 2003. "Optimal Integration Strategies for the Multinational Firm," Working Papers 142, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Discussion Papers in Economics.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman & Adam Szeidl, 2003. "Optimal Integration Strategies for the Multinational Firm," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2024, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Grossman, Gene & Helpman, Elhanan & Szeidl, Adam, 2004. "Optimal Integration: Strategies for the Multinational Firm," CEPR Discussion Papers 4477, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Baier, Scott L. & Bergstrand, Jeffrey H., 2001. "The growth of world trade: tariffs, transport costs, and income similarity," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 1-27, February.
- Head, Keith & Ries, John, 2001. "Overseas Investment and Firm Exports," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 108-22, February.
- Moshirian, Fariborz & Li, Donghui & Sim, Ah-Boon, 2005. "Intra-industry trade in financial services," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(7), pages 1090-1107, November.
- Carolina Lennon, 2008.
"Trade in services and trade in goods: differences and complementarities,"
PSE Working Papers
- Carolina Lennon, 2009. "Trade in Services and Trade in Goods: Differences and Complementarities," wiiw Working Papers 53, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Rupa Chanda, 2006. "Inter-modal Linkages in Services Trade," OECD Trade Policy Papers 30, OECD Publishing.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Lipponer, Alexander, 2007. "FDI versus exports: Evidence from German banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 805-826, March.
- Gootiiz, Batshur & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2009. "Services in Doha : what's on the table ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4903, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:psewpa:halshs-00586217. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.