Financial crisis, exchange rate and stock market integration
After the financial crisis originating from the collapse of the US housing market in 2007, financial markets, including stock markets and foreign exchange markets, experienced drastic fluctuations during an adjustment stage. We examine how the financial crisis affected the linkage between foreign exchange markets and stock markets. First, by examining the daily stock market returns of both Japan and the United States for the sample covering the 2007-2008 financial crisis, we test whether there is a shift in correlation in a smooth-transition correlation GARCH model. We find strong evidence that there was an abrupt upward shift in correlation in June of 2001. There may have been another upward shift of correlation in June of 2008, although the evidence is statistically weak. Second, after adding the JPY/USD exchange rate into a model, we find little correlation between returns of exchange rate and the Japanese stock market, although evidence indicates that there is two-way causality effect between the exchange rate and the Japanese stock market in a VAR framework. This paper provides evidence that a large financial shock may bring financial markets around the world closer to one another.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2-3-1 Matsukadai, Higashi-ku, Fukuoka, 813-8503|
Web page: http://www.ip.kyusan-u.ac.jp/keizai/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- King, Mervyn A & Wadhwani, Sushil, 1990.
"Transmission of Volatility between Stock Markets,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(1), pages 5-33.
- Philipp Hartman & Stefan Straetmans & Casper De Vries, 2001.
"Asset market linkages in crisis periods,"
727, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Hartmann, Philipp & Straetmans, Stefan & de Vries, Casper, 2001. "Asset market linkages in crisis periods," Working Paper Series 0071, European Central Bank.
- de Vries, Casper G & Hartmann, Philipp & Straetmans, Stefan, 2001. "Asset Market Linkages in Crisis Periods," CEPR Discussion Papers 2916, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hartmann, P. & Straetmans, S. & De Vries, C.G., 2001. "Asset Market Linkages in Crisis Periods," Papers 71, Quebec a Montreal - Recherche en gestion.
- P. Hartmann & S. Straetmans & C.G. de Vries, 2001. "Asset Market Linkages in Crisis Periods," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 01-071/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Jian Yang & Moosa M. Khan & Lucille Pointer, 2003.
"Increasing Integration Between the United States and Other International Stock Markets? : A Recursive Cointegration Analysis,"
Emerging Markets Finance and Trade,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 39(6), pages 39-53, November.
- Jian Yang & Moosa M. Khan & Lucille Pointer, 2003. "Increasing Integration Between the United States and Other International Stock Markets? : A Recursive Cointegration Analysis," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(6), pages 39-53, November.
- Robert-Paul Berben & W. Jos Jansen, 2003.
"Comovement in international equity markets: A sectoral view,"
- Berben, Robert-Paul & Jansen, W. Jos, 2005. "Comovement in international equity markets: A sectoral view," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 832-857, September.
- R-P. Berben & W.J. Jansen, 2001. "Comovement in International Equity Markets: a Sectoral View," MEB Series (discontinued) 2001-11, Netherlands Central Bank, Monetary and Economic Policy Department.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim & Diebold, Francis X. & Vega, Clara, 2007.
"Real-time price discovery in global stock, bond and foreign exchange markets,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 251-277, November.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold & Clara Vega, 2006. "Real-time price discovery in global stock, bond and foreign exchange markets," International Finance Discussion Papers 871, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold & Clara Vega, 2007. "Real-Time Price Discovery in Global Stock, Bond and Foreign Exchange Markets," CREATES Research Papers 2007-20, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Tse, Y. K., 2000.
"A test for constant correlations in a multivariate GARCH model,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 107-127, September.
- Tom Doan, . "TSECCTEST: RATS procedure to perform Tse test for constant correlation in MV-GARCH model," Statistical Software Components RTS00214, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Tse's constant correlation GARCH test results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00161, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Cuadro-Sáez, Lucía & Fratzscher, Marcel & Thimann, Christian, 2009.
"The transmission of emerging market shocks to global equity markets,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 2-17, January.
- Lucía Cuadro Sáez & Marcel Fratzscher & Christian Thimann, 2007. "The transmission of emerging market shocks to global equity markets," Working Papers 0727, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Cuadro Sáez, Lucía & Fratzscher, Marcel & Thimann, Christian, 2007. "The transmission of emerging market shocks to global equity markets," Working Paper Series 0724, European Central Bank.
- Chelley-Steeley, Patricia L., 2005. "Modeling equity market integration using smooth transition analysis: A study of Eastern European stock markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 818-831, September.
- Lin, Chien-Fu Jeff & Terasvirta, Timo, 1994. "Testing the constancy of regression parameters against continuous structural change," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 211-228, June.
- Bera, Anil K. & Kim, Sangwhan, 2002. "Testing constancy of correlation and other specifications of the BGARCH model with an application to international equity returns," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 171-195, March.
- Henrik Hansen & Søren Johansen, 1999. "Some tests for parameter constancy in cointegrated VAR-models," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 2(2), pages 306-333.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1988. "A Capital Asset Pricing Model with Time-Varying Covariances," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 116-31, February.
- Xiao-Ming Li, 2006. "A Revisit Of International Stock Market Linkages: New Evidence From Rank Tests For Nonlinear Cointegration," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 53(2), pages 174-197, 05.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kyu:dpaper:38. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yoshitsugu Kitazawa)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.