Welfare Gains and Losses in Sunspot Equilibria
We study a standard two period exchange economy with one nominal asset. As is well known there is a continuum of sunspot equilibria around each efficient equilibrium. A sunspot equilibrium is inefficient but some household may gain in sunspot equilibria relative to the efficient equilibrium. We show that a household's equilibrium utility level is either locally maximized or locally minimized at the efficient equilibrium, and derive a condition which identifies whether or not a household's utility is locally minimized or maximized.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.kier.kyoto-u.ac.jp/eng/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pietra, T., 1991.
"The structure of the set of sunspot equilibria in economies with incomplete financial markets,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1991032, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Pietra, Tito, 1992. "The Structure of the Set of Sunspot Equilibria in Economies with Incomplete Financial Markets," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 321-40, July.
- PIETRA, Tito, . "The structure of the set of sunspot equilibria in economies with incomplete financial markets," CORE Discussion Papers RP -997, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Goenka, Aditya & Prechac, Christophe, 2006. "Stabilizing sunspots," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(4-5), pages 544-555, August.
- Gottardi, Piero & Kajii, Atsushi, 1999. "The Structure of Sunspot Equilibria: The Role of Multiplicity," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 66(3), pages 713-32, July.
- Atsushi Kajii & Antonio Villanacci & Alessandro Citanna, 1998. "Constrained suboptimality in incomplete markets: a general approach and two applications," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 495-521.
- Cass, David & Shell, Karl, 1983. "Do Sunspots Matter?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(2), pages 193-227, April.
- Cass, David, 1992. "Sunspots and Incomplete Financial Markets: The General Case," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 341-58, July.
- Suda, Shinichi & Tallon, Jean-Marc & Villanacci, Antonio, 1992. "Real Indeterminacy of Equilibria in a Sunspot Economy with Inside Money," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 309-19, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kyo:wpaper:624. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ryo Okui)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.