Existence of Sunspot Equilibria and Uniqueness of Spot Market Equilibria: The Case of Intrinsically Complete Markets
We consider economies with additively separable utility functions and give conditions for the two-agents case under which the existence of sunspot equilibria is equivalent to the occurrence of the transfer paradox. This equivalence enables us to show that sunspots cannot matter if the initial economy has a unique spot market equilibrium and there are only two commodities or if the economy has a unique equilibrium for all distributions of endowments induced by asset trade. For more than two agents the equivalence breaks and we give an example for sunspot equilibria even though the economy has a unique equilibrium for all distributions of endowments induced by asset trade.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Schönberggasse 1, CH-8001 Zürich|
Phone: +41-1-634 21 37
Fax: +41-1-634 49 82
Web page: http://www.econ.uzh.ch/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- DEBREU, Gérard, .
"Economies with a finite set of equilibria,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
67, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- E. Eisenberg, 1961. "Aggregation of Utility Functions," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 7(4), pages 337-350, July.
- Timothy J. Kehoe, 1991.
"Computation and multiplicity of equilibria,"
460, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Dierker, Egbert, 1972. "Two Remarks on the Number of Equilibria of an Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(5), pages 951-53, September.
- Gollier, Christian & Pratt, John W, 1996. "Risk Vulnerability and the Tempering Effect of Background Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(5), pages 1109-23, September.
- Jeanne, Olivier & Masson, Paul R, 1998.
"Currency Crises, Sunspots and Markov-Switching Regimes,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1990, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jeanne, Olivier & Masson, Paul, 2000. "Currency crises, sunspots and Markov-switching regimes," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 327-350, April.
- Cass, David & Shell, Karl, 1983. "Do Sunspots Matter?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(2), pages 193-227, April.
- Galor, O. & Polemarchakis, H.M., 1984.
"Intertemporal equilibrium and the transfor paradox,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1984014, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- O. Galor & H. M. Polemarchakis, 1987. "Intertemporal Equilibrium and the Transfer Paradox," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 54(1), pages 147-156.
- John Geanakoplos & Geoffrey M. Heal, 1982.
"A Geometric Explanation of the Transfer Paradox in a Stable Economy,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
651, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Geanakoplos, John & Heal, Geoffrey, 1983. "A geometric explanation of the transfer paradox in a stable economy," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1-2), pages 223-236.
- Magill, Michael & Shafer, Wayne, 1991. "Incomplete markets," Handbook of Mathematical Economics, in: W. Hildenbrand & H. Sonnenschein (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 30, pages 1523-1614 Elsevier.
- Hens, Thorsten & Laitenberger, Jorg & Loffler, Andreas, 2002. "Two remarks on the uniqueness of equilibria in the CAPM," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 123-132, April.
- Lahiri, Sajal & Raimondos, Pascalis, 1995. "Welfare effects of aid under quantitative trade restrictions," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 297-315, November.
- Forges, Francoise & Peck, James, 1995.
"Correlated Equilibrium and Sunspot Equilibrium,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 5(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Forges, F., 1991. "Correlated equilibrium and sunspot equilibrium," CORE Discussion Papers 1991053, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Forges, F. & Peck, J., . "Correlated equilibrium and sunspot equilibrium," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1140, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Piero Gottardi & Atsushi Kajii, 1999. "The Structure of Sunspot Equilibria: The Role of Multiplicity," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 66(3), pages 713-732.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zur:iewwpx:188. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marita Kieser)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.